Factoring in Location during the College Application Process

For today, we asked our interns how much location played in their college application and selection process! As the regular decision deadline is slowly approaching, we hope that all this advice from current college students will be helpful for writing school specific supplements and for choosing which school to apply to! 

Zharner: Honestly it depends on your preferences. If you are one who can handle bad weather, then it shouldn’t be a problem for you. However if the elements get to you easily, then you better think twice before picking your college. As a student at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, there were many days in which the winter weather made life miserable, especially when having to take long walks to and from class. The uncomfortable weather can be more than just a nuisance; it can affect your mood, and thus your grades. Research the area of the college before you make a decision, whether it is located in Northern Minnesota, or in the deserts of Arizona.

Sarah: I’m probably in the minority when I say this, but I do not think location is super important when picking a college. Once you start college, you are going to be very busy. I go to school in the middle of a metropolitan area, but the number of times I have ventured off campus to go somewhere other than another college campus have been very few. There will be lots of things to do at your institution, plus you have to keep up with school work, and any extra curricular you are involved in. 

Mizo: Interestingly, the importance of location is not as clear cut as you think. Your college will probably offer you enough activities on the weekends, things to do, and people to see that you will sometimes forget that you can actually leave campus and explore the area around you, so location may not be important even if you are in the tiniest town in the Midwest. However, that being said, the location can also play a big role and add to your college experience. At Penn, though I do not leave campus very often, I know that I could easily hop on the SEPTA or cab to get to Philly center. During my college hunt, I realized first that I wanted to stay near home on the East Coast, and second, that I wanted to be in a college town where there would be restaurants and shops nearby, but still have a campus feel. My other high school friends liked the feel of being surrounded by nature and still others wanted to be as integrated in the city as possible. It really comes down to personal preferences, and the best way to get an idea of what location you would like is to visit the campuses themselves. 

Leave a comment and let us know if you found this helpful and let us know if you have any questions you need answers to!

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...