Factoring in Location during the College Application Process

For today, we asked our interns how much location played in their college application and selection process! As the regular decision deadline is slowly approaching, we hope that all this advice from current college students will be helpful for writing school specific supplements and for choosing which school to apply to! 

Zharner: Honestly it depends on your preferences. If you are one who can handle bad weather, then it shouldn’t be a problem for you. However if the elements get to you easily, then you better think twice before picking your college. As a student at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, there were many days in which the winter weather made life miserable, especially when having to take long walks to and from class. The uncomfortable weather can be more than just a nuisance; it can affect your mood, and thus your grades. Research the area of the college before you make a decision, whether it is located in Northern Minnesota, or in the deserts of Arizona.

Sarah: I’m probably in the minority when I say this, but I do not think location is super important when picking a college. Once you start college, you are going to be very busy. I go to school in the middle of a metropolitan area, but the number of times I have ventured off campus to go somewhere other than another college campus have been very few. There will be lots of things to do at your institution, plus you have to keep up with school work, and any extra curricular you are involved in. 

Mizo: Interestingly, the importance of location is not as clear cut as you think. Your college will probably offer you enough activities on the weekends, things to do, and people to see that you will sometimes forget that you can actually leave campus and explore the area around you, so location may not be important even if you are in the tiniest town in the Midwest. However, that being said, the location can also play a big role and add to your college experience. At Penn, though I do not leave campus very often, I know that I could easily hop on the SEPTA or cab to get to Philly center. During my college hunt, I realized first that I wanted to stay near home on the East Coast, and second, that I wanted to be in a college town where there would be restaurants and shops nearby, but still have a campus feel. My other high school friends liked the feel of being surrounded by nature and still others wanted to be as integrated in the city as possible. It really comes down to personal preferences, and the best way to get an idea of what location you would like is to visit the campuses themselves. 

Leave a comment and let us know if you found this helpful and let us know if you have any questions you need answers to!

MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.

Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?
Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?

As we get closer to the fall, many rising seniors are wondering, “Should I apply Early Decision?” One of our interns, Anita, recalls her decision to apply ED to University of Pennsylvania, why she did...

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...