Family and Advisors: Two Influences on Major College Decisions

​Family can heavily influence life decisions, including where you decide to go to college. Camyle will be attending Michigan State University this fall, and her mom and older sister both helped her decide on MSU. However, Camyle’s career advisor at her high school was also a huge factor in her decision, because she informed Camyle about MSU’s excellent journalism program. What influenced your college choice? If you haven’t decided yet, try speaking with your career advisor or turning to a family member for advice. Of course, AdmitSee is also a great source to use.

Here’s Camyle’s story:

The three biggest influences on my college application process were my mom, my career advisor at school, and my older sister. Up until I actually began applying for colleges, I had no clue of where I wanted to go. Yet I did know where I didn’t want to go because of my sister’s help. My sister is a senior at Eastern Michigan University, so I had to opportunity to tag along on college tours she took as a senior. She toured smaller schools that were closer to our home, and even though I was younger at the time, I still knew I did not want to attend a small university. Because of this, I began to think about the larger colleges somewhat around where I live, and I found Michigan State University, the perfect hour and a half away from my home.

I was also pointed towards Michigan State by my career advisor at my high school. She had invited me in to ask what my future plans were, and when I told her I was unsure she helped me. She asked me what I wanted to do as a career, and once I told her I wanted to be a journalist, she immediately recommended MSU. She told me they had one of the best programs in the country, and that it would be beneficial for me to have a specialized journalism program to attend. If it weren’t for her, I would not have looked as heavily into the school, and probably would have not even gone there, but I am so thankful that I did.

Finally, my mom had a great impact on my college application process. She did not have much specific advice to give me, but she encouraged me in everything I did. She simply told me to do what makes me happy, and that she would support me no matter what. This gave me the freedom to do what I knew was best for me and apply to my choice college of MSU. These three women helped guide me to where I am now because of their advice to specialize my career program and follow my heart. They gave me insight of what I do not want in a university, and helped me find what I do. Without them I would not be as successful and college bound as I am now.

Find out how Camyle got accepted on her AdmitSee profile!

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

Here to mentor and guide you!

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...