Flashback: University of Michigan

An AdmitSee intern recently sat down with her grandfather who attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor during the 50s.
The cost of tuition, process of class registration, and Saturday night activities have changed dramatically in the past 60 years

but 8 a.m. classes are still—and always will be—the worst.

Tuition:

$125 a semester

Room and Board:

$350-400 dollars a semester

“My grandfather had a scholarship for room and board, so he only had to pay $125 a semester. Filling up my gas tank costs more than half of that.”

Registering for classes:

“Compared to the digitized process today, class registration in the 50s involved teachers sitting at tables with sign up sheets for each class. One thing still hasn’t changed though: “the ideal schedule was class from 11-2… and everybody wanted Friday off”.

Saturday Nights:

“My grandfather was an engineering major and stressed that during the week he mostly studied. However “nobody studied on Saturday night.”  Football and basketball season passes cost $3-$5 dollars, and attending games, going to the movies, or playing cards were some of the normal Saturday night activities”

Technophile and coffee lover. CS major and Classics minor with a passion for STEM and the arts.

Accepted to Williams, Claremont (CMC), Amherst, Swarthmore, Pitzer, Northwestern, Tufts, WashU, Grinnell, Rice, Emory, LMU, Wesleyan

I’m an Econ & Bio major who’s passionate about STEM, social issues, and design. As a transfer, I learned a lot from navigating this hectic process twice, and I’m excited to help!
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a junior at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I am very interested in accessible healthcare for marginalized populations. I also love poetry!