Follow Your Bliss: Q&A with Duc Luu from The Edge HK

For this week’s Q&A, we chatted with Duc Luu, founder of the growing test prep company The Edge. From his favorite quote to his everyday, can’t-live-without iPhone apps, here’s what you need to know about Duc Luu.

Alma Mater?

Yale University

How long ago did you start The Edge?

2008

How many people currently work at The Edge?

75+

Can you recount the exact moment you came up with the idea for your company?

In 2008, there were no companies combining three aspects necessary for college and boarding school admissions – Test Preparation, Academic Tutoring, and Admissions Consulting.  The Edge was founded to fill that gap building and delivering the best products and services in each of those categories.

What’s your favorite piece of feedback / thanks you get from users?

“You not only got my child into her dream school, but you changed the way she thinks about the world, which arguably far more important.”

Favorite quote?

Always say ‘yes’. The worst that can happen is that you fail.

Did you intern anywhere during college? If you could change those internships, what would you do differently?

I had to do work-study in college. I worked as a graduate school department assistant, then dishwasher at the college dining hall, taught for Kaplan teaching SAT and GMAT, and worked as an accountant for a public technology company in the summers, all which kept cash in my pocket to pay for school expenses.  I wouldn’t change any of that because it gave me time to pursue my academics and extracurricular activities that I wanted to do in my free time.  Unpaid internships aren’t for poor kids.

If you had a younger sibling graduating from college this year, what’s one piece of advice you would give them in choosing a career?

Follow your bliss. Be willing to fail once or twice.

What’s the biggest mistake a new employee can make?

A new employee should be a sponge to learn the business and argue with their superiors with actual wins rather than just talk.  Everything is measured this day and age and results should be proven rather than claimed.

Describe a typical Monday.

Prep for and attend management meetings all day to make sure my team is on course for the week.

Describe your perfect weekend to get some downtime.

This year I’m working on Mandarin fluency, learning to swim, and keeping in shape on a regular basis.  A perfect weekend would allow me to do all these things and have a great meal out with friends too.

What are you reading right now?

Mandarin language books for study, Philip K. Dick for pleasure.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?

I would probably have studied to be a director or producer rather than an actor.  I’m more of a big picture strategy guy rather than a details guy.

Did you take any classes in college that changed your career plans? What? How?

I think my part time job in the test prep industry led me to this current unplanned career.

What’s the last thing you splurged on?

I like to take adventurous vacations like African safaris.  I’m rather bored by shopping.  Experiences are far more valuable despite what De Beers reminds you.

What do you consider the world’s best invention?

The car re-introduced individuality and freedom to mankind, giving us the willingness to explore rather than be confined by the train tracks.

Choose 3 people to have dinner with (dead or alive).

-Napoleon

-Franklin Delano Roosevelt

-Stanley Kubrick

What smartphone app would you have a hard time giving up?

Evernote keeps me organized and focused on short term and long term goals.

When are you happiest?

I’m happiest watching a great movie, theatrical show, or being challenged at a task to find the best possible solution.  

Looking for help with your college applications? Get in touch with a mentor and have your questions answered by a successful college student. Search through our database to find students like you and see how they got into college. Want to be featured in our Q&A series? Send us an email with your basic information, and we’ll get back to you with more information. 

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!