Freshman Roommate Stories: The Good, The Bad & Everything in Between!

Nervous about moving in with your freshman year roommate this fall? We had some of our College Admits to share their freshman roommate stories! The good, the bad and everything in between!

Want to know more about Brandeis? Unlock Zkaufman's Admit Profile now!
Want to know more about Brandeis? Unlock Zkaufman’s Admit Profile now!

Zkaufman: I have had an interesting roommate experience this year. I chose random, and received an international roommate from China. It is pretty obvious, we come from very different worlds and cultures. I like to go to sleep at 1 am, he likes to play video games until 4 am…But beside the difference in sleep schedules, we get along very well. We have had a few fights this year over different aspects we want in the room, but besides that we still have fun and hang out with each other. It was hard to adapt to, but has not been as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Is Georgetown your dream school? Unlock Jtruong95's Admit Profile & find out how she got in!
Is Georgetown your dream school? Unlock Jtruong95’s Admit Profile now!

Jtruong95: After successfully finding a roommate through CHARMS, the e-harmony of roommate matching. My roommate decided to attend a different university last minute and I was left without a roommate. I was so nervous that I would be matched with a wacko. When it was time to move in, I didn’t meet my roommate until the first day of classes, which is insane because classes start almost a week after all freshmen have been on campus. When I finally met my roommate, she turned out to be super cool! As a matter of fact, we’re still rooming now as sophomores.

Want to know more about Harvard? Unlock Dandmandv's Admit Profile now!
Want to know more about Harvard? Unlock Dandmandv’s Admit Profile now!

Dandmandv: Harvard pairs up roommates based on a personality application prior to freshman year. My five-person suite was all matched on the basis that we had a mutual love for sports. Sports, real or virtual, was always on the TV, and many a bets were placed my freshman year. The wagers were mostly small-just a few dollars or so-or physical (go get the pizza we ordered from downstairs). If you have the choice in picking a roommate, definitely try to find someone with like social habits/room cleanliness preference. It makes getting along much easier.

yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.

Tulane ‘20