Fun Fact: You Can Deposit Oversized Prize Checks

​High school is full of extracurricular competitions. You compete for prestige, trophies, scholarships… and sometimes, hilariously oversized checks! If you’ve ever received one, you probably wondered whether you could cash it. Turns out you can… at least in theory.

Hypothetically, if a check has all the necessary information (e.g. payer’s name and account number, name of bank, state, date, payee’s name, dollar amount, signature), the check can be deposited regardless of the size or form. 

“It has to contain certain features, and it can be written on anything,” says Brian Black, managing director of operations and technology for the Bank Administration Institute. “As long as it has the elements, the surface doesn’t make a difference. A check is an order to pay someone, that’s all it is. (bankrate)

But pretty much all competitions give you a real normal-sized check in addition to the poster board monstrosity you receive at the award ceremony. If the oversized check contained the same exact information as the normal-sized check, you should be able to deposit both! The only thing standing in your way is your bank. Most have rules regarding the form of documents used for deposits (you absentmindedly agreed to these rules when you opened your account). Oh, and the payer probably won’t be too happy when they realize you tried to double your winnings!

But we can still dream! Here’s co-founder Stephanie showing off an oversized check made out to admitsee… okay, actually it was made out to my brother’s tea startup. Maybe we can slip it through the ATM…?

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

Hi! I'm an incoming sophomore transfer at Williams who's passionate about technology, STEM education, social justice, and design. I've learned a thing or two after navigating this hectic process twice now, and would love to help guide others through it!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...