How to Get off the Waitlist

Ellen, a freshman at UCLA, shares her experience of getting waitlisted and what she did to get in!

I still remember the nervousness with which I checked my application status on the day admissions were revealed. I also remember the disappointment I felt upon seeing the word waitlisted on my application. There was some unease at knowing that while all my friends would be knowing where exactly they would be going next year by May 1st, I would still be, in a way, undecided, until I knew my final decisions from the schools I applied to. Yet, I understood that I did have a shot at admission, unlike many of my friends who received an acceptance.

With this knowledge, I did everything I could to continue appealing to the school. I continued achieving high grades into my second semester of my senior year, and constantly had a 4.0 GPA throughout the quarter. I also emailed the admissions office and let them know of my current situation and updated accomplishments since submitting my application in November of the year before. I believe that this persistence put me in good standing within the waitlisted applicants, and believe it or not, a week after May 1st, I was emailed with an acceptance from my waitlisted school!

Tulane ‘20

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!
beccapenn38

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...