How it Feels to Get Waitlisted

Haley, a senior at Northwestern, discusses getting waitlisted and what it taught her:

The first thing I felt when I got waitlisted at the University of Michigan was shock. I had already been accepted to schools ranked higher, like the University of Chicago, and was not expecting to be waitlisted from a school in my home state. After my surprise came disappointment. My friends at school who also applied were going to ask me if I was accepted and I was going to have to hear about everyone who was. However, my concerns were diminished by focusing on the schools I was accepted to and knowing that I would end up where I was supposed to be. 

I didn’t get off the waitlist and was ultimately rejected from a school that was not top 20; but all of that led me to the college that has given me opportunities I would not have had elsewhere and helped shaped me into the determined woman I am today. I know people who are still bitter in their senior year about being wait listed and rejected from certain schools, but my advice is to realize that there are going to be schools excited to have you, and you shouldn’t let the ones who weren’t significantly affect your thoughts and emotions.

To read more about Haley’s application process, click here!

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.
BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...