The problem with admissions: High school entrance exams mirror college applications

A recent NYTimes article profiled the debate over whether high school entrance exams should be the sole gateway to tuition-free college prep schools such as NYC’s Stuyvesant. It also discussed the racial undertones associated with the extensive test prep many students are resorting to to perform well on these exams.

Kassidi Cheng, 12, is in test-prep classes that cost her mother $2,000 this year alone. Some say that the admissions test for the city’s eight elite high schools is unfair to those students who cannot afford prep courses.

Beyond issues of race, those who favor a broader admissions policy say the reliance on one test for admission, one that has spawned an industry of tutoring programs, has distorted what it means to be a top student.

One parent argued that students should be able to demonstrate their abilities in a more well-rounded way, “A test like this is not a full indicator of a child’s potential.”

Judgments about the merits of these exams aside, the U.S. college admission process is arguably “fairer” than those in most other countries that rely solely on exam results. Although U.S. colleges value your individuality over your test-taking abilities, college admissions are ultimately an extension of the same issue: those who can afford to package and polish their applications have a better chance of admission.

In that sense, I really do believe that the more informed students are about what makes for a strong college application or a well-rounded candidate—and the more affordable and accessible this information is—will help to equalize the process.

ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.

Here to mentor and guide you!
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...