What are you looking for in your college?

As application deadlines near, high school students are asking themselves the hard questions about what matters to them in a prospective university. We asked some of our high school interns how they are making their decision. Here is what Ola, a high school junior in Maryland had to say!

Ola’s college search

Ever since I was little, I have dreamed of going to college in California. I’m from the east coast and I love it in its own way, but for some strange reason I have always wanted to go to school in California. Since then, I’ve narrowed it down to liberal arts schools with political science offerings. I’ve gone to both a small high school with about 100 students, and a large high school with almost 3,000, which has confirmed for me that I want to go to a large college. I prefer colleges that are near big cities so I can go out into the city to have fun and experience new things.

The price and ranking of a college are the two most important things to me when it comes to picking a school. I want to attend one of the top 100 schools in America, but the tuition of these schools is normally very high. I don’t want to spend more than $55,000 per year, but I realize that might be unavoidable. It’s difficult balancing all of the different factors.

Schools that match Ola’s interest

Here are the colleges that match Ola’s interests. Read the application essays of current students to learn what it takes to get accepted. 

Occidental College
Occidental College
Stanford University 
University of Southern California (USC)
University of Southern California (USC)
Pepperdine University

Where do YOU want to go?

Let us know what you’re looking for in a college - we’re always happy to make suggestions! You can submit questions and inquiries through our contact form and we’ll get back to you with lightning speed!

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...