How I Faked an Injury to Get Into my Dream College

I’m participating in a triage exercise organized by the local fire department and ambulance companies. The bleacher accident simulates a large emergency scenario where emergency first responders would need to identify and grade the severity of injuries. Those who are unconscious are attended to before those who are conscious. The general rule in triage is, the people who can howl and complain usually are the ones who are in better shape than the ones who aren’t making any noise.

This was just one Thursday night I would spend with the Explorers Club through four years of high school. Explorers Club, essentially a junior firefighter program similar to firefighter programs like this was a mentorship between my local fire department and youth. We volunteered at local events alongside the firefighters, marched in parades and helped raise money for the department. Monthly, the firefighters taught us something cool about their line of work. This includes shooting water from the big hoses, swimming in fire-proof “gumby suits” in the local pond, and learning all the parts of the trucks and riding in them. My favorite was when we hid warm water bottles in the firehouse and crawled along the floor with the new infrared detector to practice saving people from a burning building.

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
jessicadai

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.
ibonito
UChicago

Accepted to UChicago, UMich

I'm from Metro Detroit and passionate about the intersection between sustainability and business. Huge fan of dancing, traveling, fashion, and helping you with your applications!
ltan98
Fordham

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!