How Many Colleges Should I Apply To? The Answer is

So, maybe you’ve just began your college search and you would like to know…how the heck am I supposed to narrow down with all these options?! Or, if you’re a little farther along—just about ready to start filling out some applications—and the first question that comes to mind is…how many colleges should I really be applying to?

These are important questions, and AdmitSee can help!  Although the numbers on how many applications you should be filling out vary, here are some general guidelines to help you with your college search.

Try to narrow your options down to approximately 6 to 8 schools. These colleges and universities should be places that you are well-researched on and confident that you could be happy at. Consider factors such as program, curriculum, and degrees; location and size; tuition and possible aid/scholarships; and climate and available extracurriculars. 

Here is how you breakdown the colleges you apply to. 

niathuravil
Rutgers

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local dancing astronaut with a passion for the political things in life.
jenee_a
Brown

Accepted to Brown, UPenn, Cornell, BU, UMass

Hey! I'm a neuroscience major on the premed track, PLME student, and I love to dance in my free time!
juliawang143
UPenn

Accepted to UPenn, Illinois, UMich

lover of the Bachelor, avocadoes, hikes, and rewatching Harry Potter for the 1000th time.
niustephanie
Stanford

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.