How to Assemble a Resume as a College Underclassman

Your resume is your story on paper, and people will want to see it as soon as you step onto campus.

Whether you’re joining a professional organization on campus, or recruiting for your first or fifteenth internship, one thing is for sure: your resume will be part of your application. But what do interviewers want to see on the resume of a student with little professional experience? They want to see the same thing they’d see if you were a Fortune 500 CEO: your story.

However, there is a right way to tell it. Here are some tips:

Tell it on one page. You’d be shocked how many 4-page resumes detailing an entire history of every activity someone has participated in since he or she started breathing come across the desks of recruiters. Your content may be less exciting than you’d hoped, but it’s important to follow a proper format. You can see how here.

Try to replace your high school experiences. We get it. You’re a freshman, and all you’ve ever seen is high school. But that’s about to change, and the older you get, the less high school experiences recruiters expect to see on your resume. A good rule of thumb is to replace your high school experiences by the beginning of your freshman year. At this point, you should hopefully have gained enough job/leadership experience in college to start anew.

Don’t pretend to be something you’re not. Be eager to learn, and coachable. It’s great to discuss your experiences in the best light possible, but don’t exaggerate, as you’ll probably be called upon to elaborate on experiences listed on your resume. Nobody is expecting a seasoned professional as a college freshman, so just do your best with what you have!

Ask for help. It’s very difficult to give overarching resume advice, because everyone has a different set of experiences, and different things they want to show. If you’re unsure about how to best position yourself, it would be wise to seek the advice of a mentor who has been through the process before. They’ll be able to look through your current resume, pinpoint what’s most important, and help you show it in the best light possible.

Follow these tips, and you should have a great start. Best of luck!

MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

College Tours 101: Everything You Need to Know

With spring break and summer vacation in our horizon, it’s time to discuss when and how to plan a successful college tour. What’s a College Tour? What’s the point?  Let’...

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Common Application Essay Prompts 2018-2019

With another application season behind us, it’s time to move on to the next. Here are the 2018-2019 Common Application Essay Prompts. The Common Application conducts a review process for the essay prompts every 2...