How to Prepare for College

​This week we asked our interns how to best prepare for college! For most, going to college is the first step to a more independent life. It is a difficult transition for everyone, so don’t worry - you’re not alone! We are here to help making the switch a little easier for all you seniors in high school right now. Here are some tips our interns have shared from their experience. 

SChai: Keep a daily planner. With all your commitments in college, you’ll need some kind of planner to organize all that information and keep track of what you should be doing and when you should be doing it. I also recommend picking up healthy eating habits while you’re still in high school. The Freshman 15 is a real threat with all the free pizza and junk food that colleges make available to students. If you make it a habit to eat a healthy diet now, it’ll be easier to keep that up in college.

Grinnell College
Grinnell College

Kevin3651: You can start taking hard classes. This might sound simple but it really will help you. I know a lot of students in my class who struggled a lot their first semester because although they excelled at their schools, they were clearly not challenged enough. If you feel as though your classes are too easy, maybe take some city college courses even if it is not for credit to get a glimpse of the difficulty of classes in college. There is a HUGE difference in difficulty no matter what high school you come from. 

Leave a comment and let us know if you found this helpful and let us know if you have any questions you need answers to!

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native. I like math and music!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?
Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?

As we get closer to the fall, many rising seniors are wondering, “Should I apply Early Decision?” One of our interns, Anita, recalls her decision to apply ED to University of Pennsylvania, why she did...

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...