How to Prepare for College

​This week we asked our interns how to best prepare for college! For most, going to college is the first step to a more independent life. It is a difficult transition for everyone, so don’t worry - you’re not alone! We are here to help making the switch a little easier for all you seniors in high school right now. Here are some tips our interns have shared from their experience. 

SChai: Keep a daily planner. With all your commitments in college, you’ll need some kind of planner to organize all that information and keep track of what you should be doing and when you should be doing it. I also recommend picking up healthy eating habits while you’re still in high school. The Freshman 15 is a real threat with all the free pizza and junk food that colleges make available to students. If you make it a habit to eat a healthy diet now, it’ll be easier to keep that up in college.

Grinnell College
Grinnell College

Kevin3651: You can start taking hard classes. This might sound simple but it really will help you. I know a lot of students in my class who struggled a lot their first semester because although they excelled at their schools, they were clearly not challenged enough. If you feel as though your classes are too easy, maybe take some city college courses even if it is not for credit to get a glimpse of the difficulty of classes in college. There is a HUGE difference in difficulty no matter what high school you come from. 

Leave a comment and let us know if you found this helpful and let us know if you have any questions you need answers to!

I'm a current freshman at MIT who loves all sorts of things: from engineering and biology to music and dance.
rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!

lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...