How to Prepare for College

​This week we asked our interns how to best prepare for college! For most, going to college is the first step to a more independent life. It is a difficult transition for everyone, so don’t worry - you’re not alone! We are here to help making the switch a little easier for all you seniors in high school right now. Here are some tips our interns have shared from their experience. 

SChai: Keep a daily planner. With all your commitments in college, you’ll need some kind of planner to organize all that information and keep track of what you should be doing and when you should be doing it. I also recommend picking up healthy eating habits while you’re still in high school. The Freshman 15 is a real threat with all the free pizza and junk food that colleges make available to students. If you make it a habit to eat a healthy diet now, it’ll be easier to keep that up in college.

Grinnell College
Grinnell College

Kevin3651: You can start taking hard classes. This might sound simple but it really will help you. I know a lot of students in my class who struggled a lot their first semester because although they excelled at their schools, they were clearly not challenged enough. If you feel as though your classes are too easy, maybe take some city college courses even if it is not for credit to get a glimpse of the difficulty of classes in college. There is a HUGE difference in difficulty no matter what high school you come from. 

Leave a comment and let us know if you found this helpful and let us know if you have any questions you need answers to!

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
kltaylor96

Accepted to Duke, Northwestern, Elon , William & Mary, Centre, Campbell

I am someone who always shoots for the moon so that if I miss, I will land among the stars.