Take Advantage of Your Summer!

​Few high school students think about doing work over the summer. Even fewer know where to look. You can start by volunteering or interning. If you really want to boost your college application, consider applying to a competitive summer program. Here’s a list of programs to explore:

• Abbey Road Overseas Program: Program to facilitate cross-cultural understanding
  • Academic Connections: UC San Diego: Immerse yourself in a field of study
  • American Collegiate Adventures: Programs to enhance academic abilities
  • CA State Summer School: COSMOS: For Science and Mathematics
  • Carnegie Mellon: Diversity Programs: For architecture, drama, music, and art
  • Tulane University: Emerging Scholars of Environmental Science
  • UPenn Programs for High School Students: Any field of academic study
  • University of Dallas: Abroad Programs
  • UChicago: Youth Scholars Summer Program
  • Tufts Summer Study: College Courses
  • Summer Science Program: California
  • Telluride Association Summer Program: For juniors; personal and intellectual challenge
  • Rhode Island School of Design Pre-College Program: Curriculum of art
  • New York Film Academy’s Summer Film and Acting Camps: Film and acting classes
  • National Youth Science Camp: For aspiring scientists
  • Mathcamp: for those who love math
  • Miami University of Ohio: Summer Scholars Program
  • Indiana University: High School Journalism Institute
  • Johns Hopkins’ Center for Talented Youth: Academic classes and social activities
  • Harvard’s Secondary School Program: For college credit
  • Duke University’s TIP Program: Summer studies and a social experience
  • Cornell Summer College: to practice what college is like
  • Concordia Language Village: Practice different languages
  • Columbia College of Chicago: College classes

Let us know if YOU have completed one of the programs above and help us add to the list in the comments section below!

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Carnegie Mellon University Supplemental Essay Examples

Is Carnegie Mellon University on your college list? Located in Pittsburgh, CMU offers strong academic programs in both the arts and sciences, attracting top students all over the world to apply. Carnegie Mellon has seven...