I Was Waitlisted: USC Students Share Their Experiences

Worried about the waitlist? These USC students shared their experiences being waitlisted and how they dealt with it.  How did you (or would you) deal with being waitlisted?

Matthew: I only was waitlisted at one school, Cornell University. I felt that being waitlisted was more than being denied because it meant they were holding out for candidates who could be more qualified than myself. My reaction was to convince myself that I did not want to go there anyway. I looked up online news about Cornell and found that perhaps it was not the school for me after all. I don’t completely recall the process, but if I was supposed to respond to the waitlist notification, I did not.  Now, I am at USC, where I feel that they were genuinely happy to accept me.

Brian: I was waitlisted at William and Mary and was accepted in the Spring at the University of Southern California. I really didn’t care that much about William and Mary as I only applied there because I was recommended by friend, but I never even visited the college. Being accepted in the Spring at USC was a huge deal because it was my dream school. I ended up deferring my admittance to USC in order to take some classes at a local university and figure out what I wanted to do, and now that I am at USC I know I made a fantastic decision!

ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, JHU

computer science / design / music / film
ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…

7 Types of Second Semester Seniors
7 Types of Second Semester Seniors

If you’re a high school senior right now, you’ll know all about Senioritis. (Unless you’re #7.)Standardized tests, college application essays, FAFSA forms… senior fall is no fun. Thankfully, you’re (almost) finally...