I Was Waitlisted: USC Students Share Their Experiences

Worried about the waitlist? These USC students shared their experiences being waitlisted and how they dealt with it.  How did you (or would you) deal with being waitlisted?

Matthew: I only was waitlisted at one school, Cornell University. I felt that being waitlisted was more than being denied because it meant they were holding out for candidates who could be more qualified than myself. My reaction was to convince myself that I did not want to go there anyway. I looked up online news about Cornell and found that perhaps it was not the school for me after all. I don’t completely recall the process, but if I was supposed to respond to the waitlist notification, I did not.  Now, I am at USC, where I feel that they were genuinely happy to accept me.

Brian: I was waitlisted at William and Mary and was accepted in the Spring at the University of Southern California. I really didn’t care that much about William and Mary as I only applied there because I was recommended by friend, but I never even visited the college. Being accepted in the Spring at USC was a huge deal because it was my dream school. I ended up deferring my admittance to USC in order to take some classes at a local university and figure out what I wanted to do, and now that I am at USC I know I made a fantastic decision!

ibonito
UChicago

Accepted to UChicago, UMich

I'm from Metro Detroit and passionate about the intersection between sustainability and business. Huge fan of dancing, traveling, fashion, and helping you with your applications!
arn.s.wu
UCSB

Accepted to UCSB, Emory, BC, Tulane, UC Irvine, Santa Clara, UCSC, SDSU

I'm a first generation college student starting a physics major at UCSB this fall.
jenee_a
Brown

Accepted to Brown, UPenn, Cornell, BU, UMass

Hey! I'm a neuroscience major on the premed track, PLME student, and I love to dance in my free time!
Columbia

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring PhD students/teacher.