Increasing Your Chances of Getting Accepted

As the summer starts to wind down, rising juniors should start to settle down and plan for the upcoming year. 

It’s about that time of year when juniors begin to race their heartbeats about the upcoming fall college admissions process.  You’ve heard it all at this point - maintain a promising grade point average, participate in extracurricular, study for the SAT…the list never seems to end.

However, there are a few small things that don’t require as much work, but can still help increase landing an acceptance to the college of your dreams. Follow these tips, along with the information you have already received from your counselors and family members and you should be on your way!

• Stay in touch with your admissions counselor. This sounds silly, but believe it or not, most admissions counselors are in the room when applicant decisions are being made. By staying in constant communication with them, you help them remember your name and receive whatever message you convey through emails and phone calls. Some admissions counselors can even make scholarship recommendations when reviewing applications.

• Make sure you are aware of all deadlines, especially for those writing your letter of recommendations! Stay organized. It’s very important you meet the deadlines; colleges are not going to accept the “my dog ate my application” excuse.

• If possible, try to schedule an interview. Most colleges don’t consider an interview as part of the admissions process, but they do offer one. Although this process may not directly affect your application, it will show your interest and will also help you figure out if the school is a good match for you.

• Make sure you have impeccable grammar in every document you submit! You don’t have to sound like your vocabulary is wider than a thesaurus, but you should be able to convey good communication skills that the professional world requires.

Remember to keep these tips in mind when applying to your dream college.  Remember to present yourself in the best light possible, and always remember that a college acceptance does not define your worth!

lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.