Incredible High School Students: Arsh Shah Dilbagi

Colleges love to see how you turn a challenge into your life into a learning experience or accomplishment.  Arsh Shah Dilbagi did that in a big way, and created something revolutionary in the process.

The world communicates in different languages. But what if your breath could be a language? Thanks to Arsh Shah Dilbagi, even breath can be translated into speech. At the age of only 16, Arsh created a device that could revolutionize the way millions of people communicate. 

Arsh Shah Dilbagi
Arsh Shah Dilbagi

The device uses signals from a person’s breath via Morse Code, which are picked up by a sensor, and transforms them into speech. Shah has named his device Talk. Talk is truly a revolutionary product: it is estimated that 1.4% of the word’s 7 billion people are affected by an illness that leaves them immobilized. This includes those with MS or ALS who cannot form words due to paralysis. 

Dilbagi’s invention, categorized as a Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) device, can significantly improve their ability to communicate every day. “In nutshell, Talk has the potential to change the world by enabling people with disorders like LIS, ALS etc., speech impairments like Dysarthria and even Mutes to communicate and interact with the world like never before,” Dilbagi writes. “It’s my turn to change the world.”

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.

Student Advice: Choosing Where to Enroll

It’s a great feeling when you get multiple acceptances from the colleges you’ve applied to, but it can also be a challenging time deciding where to enroll! The tables have turned! Now, it’...

Duke Supplemental Essay Prompts & Examples

Thinking about applying to Duke this Fall? Check out Duke’s supplemental essay prompts and examples from the 2017-2018 application cycle. You can expect similar prompts for the upcoming cycle.Duke Application Prompts1. Short Essay...