Incredible High School Students: Rachel Davis

Being a firefighter takes courage - and imagine taking the job at just 16 years old! With a patent pending and an MIT acceptance, we think you’ll find Rachel’s story incredibly inspiring!

Rachel Davis

Rachel Davis

When Rachel Davis was 13, her home burned down. Left with almost no possessions and just a pile of ashes, she decided that she wanted to prevent what had happened to her from happening to anyone else.  Because of her age she wasn’t eligible for being a firefighter at such a young age, so for the three years until she was 16, she studied chemicals and other ways to make flame retardant materials with the intention of preventing fires in others’ homes.  Now, she has a patent pending on her flame-retardant plastic mix, which is based on a flame retardant material used in clothing.  At the age of 16, when she became eligible, she joined the volunteer fire battalion in her town, where her dad is a lieutenant. 

Rachel has been featured in Business Insider for her dedication to fighting and preventing fires. She now attends MIT, where she studies materials science and engineering! We hope her story will inspire you to follow your own passions and pursue challenging extracurriculars.

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...