Inside Look: Grinnell Basketball

Grinnell College is a small, liberal arts school in Grinnell, IA. Known for their strong academics and famous basketball program, Grinnell has a tradition unlike any other school. Kevin3651, Grinnell ‘15, tells us a bit more about the wild experience that is Grinnell basketball.

Most people probably wouldn’t guess it, but checking out a basketball game at Grinnell is one of the best ways to entertain yourself and friends while staying warm when the cold winter days hit. Even though Grinnell is only a D3 team, the atmosphere in the gymnasium is the same as what you see on ESPN for D1 schools. The Grinnell System (yes, there’s an official name for it!) is a unique strategy our team uses that really makes their games enjoyable.

Our team always shoots three-pointers when they have possession, while also applying constant pressure to the other team so they only have the chance to shoot two-pointers. Our team is also broken up into different rotations that are switched in every minute and a half so that they can play full court press for each inbound from the other team.

This system has received a lot of criticism for being a way to bolster stats while killing the spirit of the game, but it’s really fun to watch and a lot of students have a great time. There is also one game in the year that the coach decides on a record breaking game. These games are usually against the worst teams we play all season but one of the games I watched was an NCAA record where one person, Jack Taylor, had 138 points in one game. The basketball system was something I did not know about going into Grinnell College, but I’ve since discovered that watching Grinnell basketball is a lot more exciting than watching other D3 schools.

Find this interesting? Leave a comment below!

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...