Interested In An Accounting Or Finance Major?

Business majors are on the rise, and more students than ever are graduating and starting to work in the fields of accounting or finance. If you’re thinking about majoring in business as well, wouldn’t you like to know which courses current business students find engaging? Thankfully AdmitSee is here to help! Justin Keefe is a rising junior at the University of Richmond and is majoring in business administration concentrating in accounting and finance. Here is what Justin shared with AdmitSee about his favorite business courses:

The University of Richmond is known for its incredible business school. With a wide array of majors offered, an accounting program ranked 7th in the nation, and not-so-rare occasions in which the professor wrote the textbook for their class, it’s only fitting that two of my top three courses thus far are business courses.

This past fall, 2013, I took Financial Accounting 201. Sounds boring, right? It would have been had the professor not been a Senior Partner at Ernst & Young for 11 years. As he made very clear, he is in no need of his salary as a professor, but felt as though it was his time to “give back.” His expertise and charisma on the subject turned this basic level accounting course into one of the most enjoyable courses of my collegiate career. Not to mention I got a great networking contact out of it!

The following semester, spring 2014, I took Principles of Marketing 320. Another entry-level course in a subject I had little interest in prior to. I quickly realized that marketing was not what I thought it was. We covered everything about starting and running a business from A to Z and I loved every bit of it. Further, although the professor was tough, he to was extremely accomplished in his own field. He had so many personal examples concerning the things we covered that learning it became much easier. And once again, I left with an excellent networking contact.

Richmond is not all about business though. After all, it is a liberal arts school, and I had to cover all my general education requirements. My third best class so far was Screen Printing, which fulfilled my art requirement. I knew nothing about the craft before the course and had very little artistic ability, but everyone in the class was so welcoming and the professor was understanding and helpful. I quickly started to enjoy it. It offered a perfect outlet for all my serious business courses.

Be sure to check out more about Justin on his AdmitSee profile!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!
beccapenn38

littlegreentre…

Accepted to Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...