James Ward: From Homeless to Howard

Some people make do with their circumstances; others change their circumstances.  James Ward certainly is one of the latter types of people - and soon he will have a Howard University degree to prove it.

James Ward
James Ward

James Ward is nineteen years old. He has always wanted to go to Howard University, however, there was one obstacle in his way: he was homeless, and was unable to afford the $32,000 per year tuition fees. Ward set up a PayPal, asking people for help with his dream. Very soon, he was up to $12,000 dollars in donations and ended up with enough money to cover tuition at his dream school. He went “from homeless to Howard” thanks to help from strangers. 

James then set up a charity foundation for those who are in need of financial aid to achieve their own college dreams. “One of the biggest things I’ve learned from my experiences is that, no matter who you are or how scared you are, as long as you ask for help there’s always someone out there who is willing to help you,” Ward said. “More kids should understand that, because if they did, then you never know what could happen.”

Hopefully, James’ incredible story inspires you to chase your dreams, because you can truly do anything if you put your mind to it.

Student Insight: Asking for Recommendation Letters

Not sure who to ask to write your recommendation letter? Let our College Admits share their experience and advice. Recommendation letters can be written by a teacher, coach, counselor, extracurricular supervisor or a mentor you’...

How to Take a Practice LSAT
How to Take a Practice LSAT

This blog post originally appeared on the Magoosh LSAT blog.Full length practice tests are valuable prep tools for two reasons: they allow you to practice your test management skills and they track your readiness....

Navigating Applying Early vs. Regular Decision

Early Decision applications show your dream school that you’re serious, but is it the right choice for you?There are plenty of options for application types out there that vary by school. Here’s...

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...