Music, the Arts, and Ideas at Vanderbilt University

Sometimes, our favorite classes aren’t the ones concentrated in our field of study. With low expectations of what you might learn, new things will take you by surprise, even in the classroom! Take if from kkball96, a freshman at Vanderbilt University!

I am enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) at Vanderbilt, where we have a series of requirements labeled AXLE (Achieving Excellence in Liberal Education) for all students in CAS, like a History of the United States course, and three different classes in the Mathematics and Natural Sciences category.

I for one am a math major, so upon seeing that I must take three humanities courses before graduating, I was slightly hesitant. I felt it was unnecessary, but when one of my friends asked me to sign up for a humanities class called “Music, the Arts, and Ideas” to get rid of a requirement, I signed up thinking at the very least, that it would be easy. I had no idea what I was going to learn in this class.

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

beccapenn38

Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?
Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?

As we get closer to the fall, many rising seniors are wondering, “Should I apply Early Decision?” One of our interns, Anita, recalls her decision to apply ED to University of Pennsylvania, why she did...

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...