Must Take Classes at University of Wisconsin-Madison

At big schools like University of Wisconsin-Madison, they offer such a variety of classes that sometimes it can even be overwhelming to look through their entire course catalog. But don’t worry, Pam.gu, a senior at UW-Madison, is here to shed some light on some must takes there, especially as a psychology major! 

Psychology of the Internet: As a psychology major, I love anything and everything that has to do with psychology. As a millennial, I love anything and everything that has to do with internet! The coolest thing about this class is that it integrates these two interests and is conducted completely online! Our professor’s research focuses on the use of internet in education so her class is structured online in a way that is designed to optimize our learning - through discussions, short blog posts, and a mish-mash of all kinds of information sources. This class is so much fun because it allows us to dig into the research behind the internet to discover how the internet is both helping and harming our everyday lives. 

Want to know more? Check out her profile!

Professional Communication: Even though I was forced to take this as a sophomore because it was one of my required Business courses, I ended up being incredibly indebted to this course! In “ProCom” we learned how to do pretty basic things like write a resume, cover letter, and a professional e-mail. The great thing about this course was that we were required to complete all of these assignments which forced us to learn the process of writing a cover letter or a resume - a skill that I use to this day. This was the most useful class I have ever taken and I would highly recommend a class like this to anyone.

Linguistics:  I have always been absolutely fascinated by languages - I mean, how cool is it that every language has their own way of saying the same thing and that people can communicate with each other just as well using completely different words?! I took this class during my first semester at UW-Madison and learned about the different sounds behind all languages, how we develop languages and the physical movements we use to produce languages. Something I still remember learning from this class is that as babies we are all born with the ability to produce the sounds of all languages but as we mature, our brain prunes out the sounds that are not used in our household language and we lose the ability to make those sounds. I would encourage everyone to take a course like this - something that fascinates you and awakens your inner sense of awe even if it has nothing to do with your major.

Found this interesting? Leave a comment below and let us know!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring PhD students/teacher.
ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, JHU

computer science / design / music / film