My Favorite Classes: CMU

What courses you take and when you take them can have a huge impact on your time in school. Josh, a sophomore at Carnegie Mellon University, shares his favorite first-year courses as a Mechanical Engineering and Physics student.

1.     Physics 3: Modern Essentials: I fell in love with physics as a senior in high school, where I took AP Mechanics, and AP Electricity and Magnetism. In order to complete my double major in 4 years I jumped straight into Physics 3 as a freshman, and I loved it! The class overviewed many of the ideas found in modern physics, including Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Both professors that taught the course were excellent and enthusiastic teachers, and clearly passionate about their work.

2.     Interpretation and Argument: As a very linearly-minded person, I often try to avoid classes such as Interpretation and Argument. The class serves as Carnegie’s required freshman writing course, as is divided into many different sections by topic. The section that I took had the title “The Devout and the Fallen” which was heavily focused on religious studies. Despite my initial hesitation, a great professor and an interesting topic made “Interp” one the most influential courses of my freshman year.

3.     Strike the Earth: Dwarf Fortress: Carnegie Mellon offers courses that are completely designed and run by students, with topics ranging from Miyazaki to Zombie Survival to Sneakerology. I decided to take a “StuCo” in the cult-video game “Dwarf Fortress”, a fantasy management and survival game. Despite the content of the class being unconventional, having a scheduled time each week to hang out and play a video game was incredibly relaxing. If your school offers student run courses, I would highly recommend them.

What has been your favorite college class so far?

LorLop
CMU ‘21

Accepted to CMU, RPI, Stevens, New Jersey IT

Carnegie Mellon University Computer Engineering Student
sandybisaria
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, CalTech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UMich, GA Tech, Washington, Illinois, Rutgers

I'm currently a Electrical and Computer Engineering student at Carnegie Mellon.
rerkie
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, NYU, William & Mary, Wake Forest, Davidson, GWU

Student-Athlete, Neuroscience Major, Track and Field
emily.b
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, Cornell, UPenn, Stony Brook, Binghamton

Hi! I'm a freshman at Carnegie Mellon in the College of Engineering.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...