My Favorite Classes: Stanford

One class can change a student’s career path and future goals—that’s all it takes! Read on about what ilse93 learned in one of her favorite classes at Stanford:

My favorite class at Stanford has definitely been Technology Entrepreneurship. It is one of those classes that becomes your life for the quarter you take it, but still, you love it!

In this class, students get in groups of four. We were expected to come up with a product or service that we would test, improvise, and ‘pivot’ throughout the ten weeks of one of our quarters at Stanford. The goal was to come up with a product/service that has customer potential. The professors taught us all about having a MVP, or minimal viable product. When the professor said MVP, I thought to myself—what does being the most valuable player have to do with this? It was my first time that I had ever heard of the term before, but now, it almost feels like its part of my everyday vocabulary. 

The class focuses on customer development. We were encouraged to “grow the product with your customer”. What this means is that before you have a final product, you should test your prototypes of your product/service to individuals that can be potential customers. Based on the results of the user testing, we would then go back and improve our product/service. This opportunity allowed us to see what it is that our customers truly want or need, and we could “pivot” our product/service to best fit the demands of the customers.

The best part about this class was that it didn’t feel like a class at all. We even got the chance to talk to potential partners and pitch our product/service to them and tell them what it brings to the table. We got to learn about product development, the user experience, the start-up world and all the steps behind a successful startup. 

Found this interesting? Leave a comment below and let us know! 

**Bonus: After ilse93 took this class, she decided to continue learning more about tech startups by interning with AdmitSee. If you want a chance to learn more about an EdTech startup, email frances@admitsee.com for more information on the AdmitSee Internship Program!

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...