My Favorite Classes: The Ohio State University

Going to college is the perfect opportunity to take classes outside of your comfort zone. One AdmitSee user, david.palmer.1694, shares his favorite classes. Though he’s an engineer, one of his favorite classes is one that might surprise you. 

Physics 1251: Electromagnetics & Magnetism, Optics, and Modern Physics: It’s somewhat ironic that this class ended up being one of my favorites so far considering the less than illustrious start I got off to with it. Due to a problem with my schedule, I was forced to attend a different lecture than the one I had originally signed up for. The section I got stuck in lasted until 7:25 on Friday evenings, which is pretty much a college student’s worst nightmare—possibly exceeding even 8 AMs. I went in thinking the timing would be a major inconvenience, but contrary to expectations, Dr. Porter made my attendance more than worth it. Although it was very difficult at times, after the learning the unique material of this class, physics became my favorite field of interest.

Math 2173: Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations: This course was definitely one of the most challenging I’ve taken so far. I learned more than just calculus in 2173—this class helped me better understand problem solving in general by challenging me to view equations from a different perspective. I had to consciously break out of my straightforward, one-track approach to analyzing issues. It helped me develop my critical thinking skills as a whole, which is useful no matter what you end up doing in life. The course is required for those in the field of engineering, but I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in mathematics and problem solving.

Art Education 1600: Art and Music Since 1945: I took this class my first semester freshman year to fulfill one of my general education requirements. As an engineer, I’m used to understanding topics from a logical perspective, so my reluctance to take a course focusing on modern art is probably understandable. I was pleasantly surprised at how Dr. Funk (the name says it all) developed his curriculum. He allowed his students an unusual amount of room for creativity by having extremely open-ended writing assignments requiring interpretations of any kind of modern art. I was able to use my engineering perspective to my advantage and add a unique element to my papers.

JessicaW
Ohio State ‘19

Accepted to Ohio State, Case, SLU, Miami OH, Kent State,

I will be attending Ohio State in the Eminence Fellows program as a Pre-Nursing major.
hcochran97
Ohio State ‘20

Accepted to Ohio State

I am an animal science major aiming at vet school in 4 years.
cheyclark
Ohio State ‘18

Accepted to Ohio State

I am interested in feminism and I focus on representation of people in the media. I will be getting a degree in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. I came from a fairly small town with a small high school to the very large Ohio State.
missymeilin
Ohio State ‘19

Accepted to Ohio State, Northwestern, Case, UKentucky, , Kent State, UAkron

The Ohio State University '19 | BFA in Dance & BS in Environmental Science | Cleveland, OH

Student Reviews: Georgetown's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Georgetown’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Georgetown University? See what current Georgetown Hoyas have to say about going to school on the Hilltop.Located in Washington D.C., Georgetown University offers one of the best...