My SAT and ACT Experience: Advice from a Brown University student

The SAT and ACT are intimidating - believe us, we know!  But getting advice from students who have already been through it can help you to prepare better and most of all, to prepare smarter.  Zach attends Brown University and told us about his experience with the SAT and ACT, including his advice for you.

I took the SAT twice and the ACT once.  The first time I took the SAT was in the fall of my junior year. I didn’t have any tutoring but I wanted to take the real test to get a feel for it and see what my baseline was. I did very well and my reading and writing scores from that test were the ones I sent to colleges. I then used a private tutor just for the math section. With two months of tutoring and practice work my math score went up 100 points.

I took the ACT right after I took the SAT for the second time. Many people do significantly better on one test than another so I wanted to try both out. The content of the ACT is similar enough that my studying consisted of just a few practice tests to get a feel for the very different format. I ended up getting a similar score, percentile wise, and submitted both tests.

I found the tutoring for the math section extremely helpful. My tutor was able to pinpoint the few concepts I was really struggling with, and help me figure them out. The biggest thing that helped me though was staying calm under pressure. I didn’t freak out before the tests or try to cram. The relaxed state of mine helped me focus and improve my scores.

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.

Hi! I'm a Williams '19 transfer who's passionate about social justice, tech, and STEM. I'd love to share what I learned from navigating this hectic process twice!

Student Reviews: Dartmouth College's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Dartmouth College’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Dartmouth College? Look beyond Dartmouth’s Ivy League reputation and see what current Dartmouth students have to say about going to school in Hanover. 1. Dartmouth’s Campus & CultureStudent...

The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application...

Class of 2022 Regular Decision Notification Dates

College decisions are drawing closer. With so many different notification dates to keep track of, we’ve put together a list of Class of 2022 release dates to help you manage it all. March 14th, 2018Massachusetts...