Networking: Why It’s Important and Why You Should Start Now

Whether you’re a senior headed off to college in the fall or a senior preparing to say your final goodbyes to college, your career isn’t that far away. Even if you have no idea what your career interests are, there are a few steps you can take to start networking and create good connections.

So what, exactly, is networking? It’s an important skill to learn that will slowly start to create and influence your career from an early start. You can reach out to former coworkers, employers, friends, parents, and more, to start building your network of people that can potentially help you find a job and create partnerships with.

A good place to start is making an account on LinkedIn, filling out all your interests, and attaching your resume. Usually, the easiest starting point is to connect with your classmates and friends from high school who are also in college now. You can easily join LinkedIn groups from your current college, follow people you look up to, and keep up with general business news. Interested in getting a job in marketing? There are plenty of groups and pages to follow relating to marketing news and opportunities.

As a college student, you may think you have a long way to go when it comes to finding a secure job that you love. You are partially right - however, since you are still a student, you should use that to your advantage. Reaching out to alumni at companies you’re interested in is a good way to find easy help you from people formerly in your shoes.

Lastly, although you will most likely be very busy when you are first starting school, you should try to find an internship. Colleges are filled with paid and unpaid internships in so many different industries. Summer jobs are incredibly important as well, as plenty of post-graduation opportunities actually come from previous summer jobs. Check your colleges jobs/internships page and check in with career services to find what opportunities are available. Apply to as many as you can and see what you get!

Networking might seem like something for students older than you, but make no mistake - getting a head start on the process now can help you immensely in the future.

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

Carnegie Mellon University Supplemental Essay Examples

Is Carnegie Mellon University on your college list? Located in Pittsburgh, CMU offers strong academic programs in both the arts and sciences, attracting top students all over the world to apply. Carnegie Mellon has seven...