What Scores You Can Expect on the New SAT

In 2014, the College Board announced yet another change to the SAT test: the scoring system would revert back to a score out of 1600. The era of the 2400 SAT was over, and plenty of changes were made. Namely, that the Writing section would mix with the Critical Reading section to become one 800-point section, and that students would no longer be required to write the formerly mandatory essay.

taking the SAT and finding out scores

The first reiteration of the redesigned SAT was offered at the start of this year, and the first round of scores from the new test have been released. The scoring, though, has changed - with the maximum score going from 2400 to 1600, you’d think that scores would go down by 50% as well (i.e., a score of 1500 down to 1000). Instead, the new SAT scores are higher. Instead of a 1000, the new result would 1090. Last year’s test yielded averages of 500 and 510 on Critical Reading and Math, respectively, while the new SAT’s averages were 550 and 540.

Though it’s bound to be confusing for students, parents, and colleges alike, the scores seem to be independent of previous tests. So what can you do to make sure you score well on the redesigned SAT? Catch up on the best last minute study tips for the test to make sure you know your stuff. For now, you can use the College Board’s score calculator to determine where your old score would line up on the new scoring system, or vice versa. 

Want to find out how your SAT scores line up against the competition? Browse through thousands of admitted students to see their scores, essays, and advice answers to find out how you can get in. 

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Stanford, Cambridge, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.