Studying Abroad: How It Can Propel You Forward!

A lot of students assume studying abroad will put them behind academically. However, courses you take abroad can frequently count towards your major. Daniel, a student at Harvard, tells us about his plans to study abroad in Argentina and how this experience will help him in the future:

It’s always been my dream to travel to a faraway place, removed from American culture.  This past spring, I was fortunate enough to gain admission to Harvard Summer School in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I will study Spanish Language and Argentine culture.  Most schools boast about having high rates of students who study abroad, but Harvard boasts about the opposite.  Not very many students spend one of their precious eight college semesters studying abroad, instead opting to spend as much time as they can on Harvard’s Cambridge campus.  There aren’t many internship opportunities available for students entering their sophomore year, so I decided that it would be the perfect time to live my personal dream of going abroad.

I opted to apply to the Argentina program in particular because not only will I earn credit towards my Spanish Language citation, but also I will be able to immerse myself in a foreign culture I would otherwise not get to experience.  I think this will help my career, especially if I end up doing work for an international company or end up consulting for a company that does work in Spanish-speaking counties.  Being bilingual can be very useful for a career.  I am very comfortable reading and writing the Spanish language, but my verbal communication skills are not as strong as I would like them to be.  This summer program is the perfect opportunity to improve my speaking abilities; Spanish the only language I’ll be hearing, speaking, reading and writing for eight weeks. 

I definitely wouldn’t have this great opportunity to spend a summer studying abroad if I didn’t go to Harvard College, but if I didn’t get into the summer school, I could have participated in one of Harvard’s other summer programs in foreign countries for its students. I most likely would have applied for one of the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies (DRCLAS) programs in Argentina.  DRCLAS provides students the opportunity to work with local organizations in Latin American countries.  I still would have been able to do the travel abroad I desired, but I wouldn’t have gotten the class credit I desired to get knocked out over this summer. If I am being honest, I had no idea what I was going to be doing post-freshman year when I applied to college.  I kind of half-figured I would be working some kind of internship or have a job somewhere around my home in Southern California.  Luckily, I found a program I am really excited for.  I’m confident it will be the best time to experience Argentina-with the 2014 World Cup going on, and what is sure to be a contending Argentina team, it’s going to be a blast to cheer them on.

Read more about Daniel on his AdmitSee profile!

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...