One Simple Class Can Decide Your Major

College is a wonderful place. Aside from the social aspects and the friends you’ll make, you will immerse yourself in a great educational environment that will challenge you while kickstarting your career interests. We looked to some of our users from Northwestern to find out their favorite classes and why. Whether it helped them decide their major or was just a fun class to take, here’s what these Admits had to say:

alexdvelasco - “Developmental Psychology because the professor teaches in a way that is more similar to a performance than a lecture.”

bodhello - “Intro to Computer Programming. Honestly it was such a fun class with a great teacher. Programming is increasingly prevalent, so it’s good groundwork for anyone interested.”

monkster519 - “My favorite class so far has been a class in optimization because it was the first class I ever took in industrial engineering and made me realize that it was the right major for me.”

doritosandkilos777 - “I have really enjoyed Econ 311, intermediate macroeconomics. Unlike other econ classes, the information presented is applicable to everyday life and my professor is hilarious. However, I will say that I have enjoyed every single class I have taken so far at Northwestern as every teacher here is so smart and so dedicated to what they do.”

AmandaMG - “Intro to poetry (ENG 206) is amazing, especially if you can get in as a freshman…the first class I got positive and personalized feedback on my writing from the professor, and truly opened my eyes up to the beauty that is campus.”

NU2018 - “Take upper level humanities, political science and history courses, even if intro courses are recommended. As long as you can handle the reading, the better professors and smaller class sizes are worth it. Plus, you’ll never be completely out of your league because you won’t need many field-specific skills (as you would in a math or science course); knowledge-based classes can be taken with little prior knowledge in the field.”

allym896 - “My favorite class is German 101. I believe Northwestern really tries to encourage language study, and they are making a shift toward emphasizing study abroad, which requires them to beef up language. These classes are really supportive, especially the German department.”

Are you a student at Northwestern? Let us know your favorite classes in the comments below. If you’re interested in applying to Northwestern, search our database to get a better idea of where other students applied and how they got in. Talk to a mentor and get essay help to get you into your dream school. 

school4lyfe

Accepted to Northwestern, UChicago, Illinois, Notre Dame

I'm an Econ/premed at Northwestern, hoping to get into med school straight out of undergrad. I've been involved in a few things in college, but I'm most passionate about the research and service activities I've done.
Parky190

Accepted to Northwestern, Notre Dame, WashU, NYU

Hi! Northwestern '21, originally from Southern Illinois (St. Louis area)
annacblakley

Accepted to Northwestern, Northeastern, UMich

Hi! My name is Anna and I am in Northwestern University's 2020 class. I am planning on majoring in Manufacturing and Design Engineering. I plan to go Greek and travel abroad at least once during my four years. In high school I was part of the IB program.
basur

Accepted to Northwestern, USC, UNC, Penn State, BU, Ohio State, Case

Average kid from suburban Akron, Ohio.