Parents: What Not To Do When We Leave For College

All teenagers think their parents are embarrassing. Occasionally, they’re right. Here are 8 shocking stories from college students.

1. Living vicariously

“My mother wanted me to go to her alma mater. When I ended up at JHU, she refused to visit - calling the school ‘second tier’ and purposefully mispronouncing the name. I’m terrified about bringing friends home because she’ll likely say the same thing to them.” -Mary W., Johns Hopkins

2. Moving to School

“My freshman roommate’s mother actually moved to school with her. She lived in a hotel down the street and came to our dorm almost every night. This went on for three months before the school got involved.” -Elizabeth S., Yale

3. Refusing to Drive to College

“My parents had vacation plans in August, so they made me take a train to orientation… they promised to drive down with all my clothes and furnishings when they got back. But it was weeks. I lived out of one suitcase and slept in a sleeping bag. It sucked.” -James T., UVM

4. Constantly Checking In

“When I lost my phone during exams, I forgot to tell my parents. After like a day and a half of not to responding to texts my mom showed up and sat outside of Blackwell asking people if they knew where I was.” -Danielle K., Duke

5. Fighting for Access to Grades

“During orientation, the Dean mentioned to parents that grades would not be sent home. My father lost it. He actually went up to the Dean and said that if he didn’t receive my grades, they wouldn’t receive my tuition. Eventually I promised to send him a copy and he calmed down, but I hate that the Dean learned my name under those circumstances.” -Becca R., Pepperdine 

6. Sharing Nicknames

“My nickname growing up was Hoover because I used to like inhale food after swim team practice. My dad told my college boyfriend about the name. Let’s just say it stuck for all the wrong reasons.” -Olivia S., UMD

7. Changing the Childhood Home

“When I came home for Thanksgiving, I discovered my bedroom had been converted into a home gym. To make matters worse, when I confronted my parents about it, they picked on me for gaining ‘the freshmen ten.’” -Zach R., Wisconsin

8. Bribing R.A.s

“For months, I couldn’t figure out how my parents always seemed to know what I was doing and when I was partying too hard. I thought they put something in my phone or had secret cameras… Nope, they were bribing my roommate and R.A. for email updates. I found out because they accidentally cc’d me on an email.” -Marco R., UCSB

Don’t forget to let them know about AdmitSee’s $5000 scholarship opportunity, and the fact that they can earn money by creating a college profile on AdmitSee with their successful application materials!

ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, JHU

computer science / design / music / film
Tulane ‘20