Preparing for College: 4 Things You Need to Do

For all you college bound students out there, you may feel like you’re set for college now that you’ve been accepted. But here’s a secret: You really aren’t until you do these 4 essential things that’ll prepare you for the next four, paradigm-shifting, awesome years.

1. Hone your time management skills.

No matter what the movies say, your primary motive for attending college is to get a degree (hopefully). Though it’s fun to be social, hang out with friends, and meet new people, partying too much will not help during midterms/finals week - studying will.

What you can do now to prepare: Start scheduling your time. Get a planner or use an online calendar service - even a spreadsheet will do. Make sure you know exactly what you’re doing with your time and when you are doing it. This way, you’ll already be in the habit when you go off to college.

2. Make sure you’re fairly good with communicating with people.

You will meet many, many people while in college, and this is the foundation of the personal and professional network you’ll constantly be tapping into. Talking to strangers and networking with doesn’t come naturally to everyone, so it’ll be helpful to get comfortable with that idea.

What you can do now to prepare: In case you feel anxious in social situations or aren’t very good with interaction, ease yourself into it. Start out by saying hello to that next-door neighbour you’ve never spoken to, or a friend’s unknown friend. Make your way up so that you are eventually confident enough to smile, make eye contact, and shake hands when you meet a new person.

3. Learn how to manage your life on your own.

You’re finally an adult! What does that mean? Managing bank accounts, scheduling doctor appointments, and other things your parents have done for you for years.

What you can do now to prepare: Ask your parents or trusted older mentors to help you adjust to adulthood. Learn how to use a washing machine (it’s not hard, I promise). Learn how to do your taxes and FAFSA. It’ll all come in handy that Sunday night when you’re stuck in the laundry room and your financial aid application is due the following Wednesday.

4. Get excited!

I really don’t think an explanation is required for this one. You’re about to enter some of the best years of your life. It’s a fresh start and a new chapter for you and your peers. Take advantage of it, and find out who you are and what you’re passionate about.

College is a time for growth and exploration, and with these four things set into place, that growth will only advance further. Good luck, pre-collegiates, and have fun!

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for?

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...