Preparing for the SAT and ACT: A Cerritos High School Student’s Advice

Choosing which tests to take, how to prepare for them and when to take them can be intimidating. Florence, a senior at Cerritos High School, shares her advice for sophomores and juniors.

As a current senior, I have now taken the SAT twice and ACT once. I think that students can never tell if they would do better on the SAT or ACT until they try both. I thought I would perform better on the ACT, but the time was an issue for me because the ACT requires students to do more problems in a shorter amount of time. With that being said, most of my friends like the ACT better and perform better on the ACT compared to the SAT. As you can see, it differs for each student. 

As for my study method, I have tried both self-studying and attending a rigorous SAT prep academy. While the SAT academy did help me raise my score, I felt that I was cramming too much information in my head each day and it didn’t help me as much as self-studying. Students who should take the self-studying approach are the type that can motivate themselves and practice a lot of self-discipline. Standardized testing prep is more about practicing repeatedly and taking a lot of practice tests from the official SAT prep book helped me more than the academy. As for the ACT, I self-studied during the school year and I learned that getting better at either of the tests doesn’t happen overnight. It requires taking practice tests and learning from your mistakes over a long period of time. My mistake with the ACT was I only prepared over a one month span. 

What do YOU think about the SAT versus the ACT?

Student Insight: Asking for Recommendation Letters

Not sure who to ask to write your recommendation letter? Let our College Admits share their experience and advice. Recommendation letters can be written by a teacher, coach, counselor, extracurricular supervisor or a mentor you’...

How to Take a Practice LSAT
How to Take a Practice LSAT

This blog post originally appeared on the Magoosh LSAT blog.Full length practice tests are valuable prep tools for two reasons: they allow you to practice your test management skills and they track your readiness....

Navigating Applying Early vs. Regular Decision

Early Decision applications show your dream school that you’re serious, but is it the right choice for you?There are plenty of options for application types out there that vary by school. Here’s...

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...