SAT and ACT Prep: Advice from a UNC Student

Caroline is a student at UNC, and she shared her advice on succeeding on your SAT or ACT.  If you are prepping for your own test days, try some of her suggestions out!

If there is one thing I wish I had known as a senior in high school, it would be the weight that the SAT and ACT scores carry on college admissions. My senior year of high school, I made the mistake of underestimating the SAT and ACT. I did not take the preparation seriously, and as a result I did not score well on either test.  I took both because I figured that I would score decently on at least one of them. However, I recommend only taking the one you will need for your chosen applications.  That way, more time can be devoted towards one test instead of split between two. This strategy would also allow more opportunities for taking practice exams, which I only did once. As part of my preparation, I took an SAT prep course at Sylvan. Although my score did go up in each category as a result, it was only by 50 points at most. I was not as devoted to the course as I should have been due to taking it during cross-country season, and I think if I had taken it during the summer it would’ve been more beneficial. Bottom line is, your score will reflect your personal drive and motivation to succeed. Looking back, if I had paired my preparation with a more serious attitude, my score would have been a lot higher. If I could go back and give myself a list of things to do for preparation, the following would be included.

1.) Vocab, Vocab, Vocab!

During your junior year of high school, dedicate 10 minutes a day to vocabulary. That’s it. A huge portion of the SAT is simply vocabulary, and if you start preparing at the beginning of junior year, by the time you take the test you will be able to skip the cramming.

2.) Take practice exams

A lot of high schools offer practice exams free of charge, and it really is cliché, but practice makes perfect.

3.) Practice courses

A lot of high schools also offer free SAT and ACT preparation classes, which can save a lot of money.  However, investing in an SAT or ACT prep course through programs like Kaplan or Sylvan is also an option.  Either way, these courses are exceptionally helpful due to the fact that a teacher is there for guidance versus self-studying.

4.) Remember: it’s just a test

The SAT and ACT definitely have an impact on your admissions; however, you are not defined by a multiple-choice test! Worst scenario, you bomb it the first time, and take it again.  Bottom line, it’s just a test that is easily mastered by practice, practice, practice!

clovescirrus

Accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Rice, JHU, UVA, UMD, CMU, Vanderbilt

Princeton class of 2020, choir nerd, lover of language. Writing is my favorite thing to do, and I'd love to help you brainstorm/write/revise.
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...