Searching for Scholarships: A Guide for International Students

With so many scholarships available to students out there, it’s often hard to navigate through all the options, especially for international students. It’s well known that international student enrollment has been on the rise. In fact, 275,000 students from China alone studied at a US college in the 2013-2014 school year.

However, it’s much more difficult for them to find scholarship opportunities outside of their school’s financial aid package. Many of the scholarships we see require applicants to either be a US citizen or a permanent resident. Luckily, though, there are a few scholarships available to all students out there:

CollegeWeekLive’s $1000 Monthly Scholarship

All international students are eligible. Apply by creating an account and participating in a CollegeWeekLive virtual event!

Essay Writing Contest for $3000!

All international students are eligible. Pick one of the following topics and write a 1000-1700 word essay:

-The Pro and Con Arguments for the Death Penalty

-Human Cloning Pros and Cons: Should People Interfere with Nature?

-Should Animals Be used for Research? Is Their Role Replaceable?

-Limitations or Protection: Do Curfews Keep Teens Out of Trouble?

-Are We Too Dependent on Computers to Function Without Them?

Next Gen $1000 Scholarship

International students who are currently studying or living in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington D.C. are eligible. To apply, applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.

School Specific Options

Though it is helpful to look for external private scholarships, there are also options available for students applying to or attending specific universities, many of which are offered specifically to international applicants.

For example, Wesleyan University offers the Wesleyan Freeman Asian Scholarship for students who are Vietnamese, Thai, Taiwanese, Singaporean, Phillippine, Malaysian, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, and Chinese. The scholarship covers education costs over the four years at Wesleyan and is not restricted to any specific field of study. Similarly, Johns Hopkins offers renewable scholarships to incoming international students. There is no restriction on nationality or field of study, though you must maintain a 3.0 GPA to qualify.

So if you have already been accepted, the first place to look for a scholarship is your university’s page for international students. If you’re still applying, or looking to apply, do your research and find out whether it a scholarship is offered. There are so many different kinds of scholarships out there available to international students, so don’t get discouraged when you get started with your research. It does take time and energy to go through them and find the right scholarships, but it will be worth it. We recommend using scholarship sites like FastWeb and IEFA that allows you to filter through scholarships based on where you’re going for college, what your field of interest is and where you will be attending.

vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast
HarvardCowboy

Accepted to Harvard, CalTech, Duke, WashU, UVA, VA Tech, UToronto, Alabama

Advice more down-to-earth than my profile pic.
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
cerealjess

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.

Your Final Early Application Checklist
Your Final Early Application Checklist

If you're applying Early Decision or Early Action, use this checklist to make sure you've properly personalized your application and are adequately prepared for the ED/EA process....