Second Chances: Tyrell McCurbin

Who says you don’t get a second chance? Anything is possible if you work hard enough to achieve your dream. Tyrell McCurbin was given a second chance to reach his goals at his dream school.  Read his story below:

Tyrell McCurbin currently studies Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, but over a decade ago he would have never thought it would be possible. Tyrell is 28 years old. He attended UPenn many years ago, but left after being put on academic probation. He then decided to join the US Army, and also went on to earn an Associate’s Degree from an Arizona culinary school. 

Even after all of that, Tyrell still wanted more. He said he needed something intellectually stimulating to work on, so he reapplied for admissions to Penn Engineering and enrolled in the spring of 2012. He plans to graduate in the spring of 2016 and sub-matriculate into the robotics Master’s program at Penn. 

Tyrell’s story all goes to show that second chances are possible, and even when you mess up, things can still work out; sometimes even for the better.

Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.

lizolat

Accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

My name is Elizabeth, and I am from a small town in Florida. I graduated from Land O' Lakes High School, and am now a student at Yale University. My intended major is Biomedical Engineering with a Molecular Engineering focus, and I am a pre-med student.