Second Chances: Tyrell McCurbin

Who says you don’t get a second chance? Anything is possible if you work hard enough to achieve your dream. Tyrell McCurbin was given a second chance to reach his goals at his dream school.  Read his story below:

Tyrell McCurbin currently studies Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, but over a decade ago he would have never thought it would be possible. Tyrell is 28 years old. He attended UPenn many years ago, but left after being put on academic probation. He then decided to join the US Army, and also went on to earn an Associate’s Degree from an Arizona culinary school. 

Even after all of that, Tyrell still wanted more. He said he needed something intellectually stimulating to work on, so he reapplied for admissions to Penn Engineering and enrolled in the spring of 2012. He plans to graduate in the spring of 2016 and sub-matriculate into the robotics Master’s program at Penn. 

Tyrell’s story all goes to show that second chances are possible, and even when you mess up, things can still work out; sometimes even for the better.

ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, JHU

computer science / design / music / film
cerealjess

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Stanford, Cambridge, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic
BGrove

Accepted to Duke, UT Austin, GA Tech, Washington, Arizona

I am a normal person: I promise. I am a big sports fan who will be attending Duke to watch basketball (and hopefully graduate with an economics degree).