Second Chances: Tyrell McCurbin

Who says you don’t get a second chance? Anything is possible if you work hard enough to achieve your dream. Tyrell McCurbin was given a second chance to reach his goals at his dream school.  Read his story below:

Tyrell McCurbin currently studies Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, but over a decade ago he would have never thought it would be possible. Tyrell is 28 years old. He attended UPenn many years ago, but left after being put on academic probation. He then decided to join the US Army, and also went on to earn an Associate’s Degree from an Arizona culinary school. 

Even after all of that, Tyrell still wanted more. He said he needed something intellectually stimulating to work on, so he reapplied for admissions to Penn Engineering and enrolled in the spring of 2012. He plans to graduate in the spring of 2016 and sub-matriculate into the robotics Master’s program at Penn. 

Tyrell’s story all goes to show that second chances are possible, and even when you mess up, things can still work out; sometimes even for the better.

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

Here to mentor and guide you!
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...