So, You Didn’t Get In Early. What’s Next?

If you didn’t get into your top choice school during early admissions, don’t freak out, since you’re certainly not alone. This is what the college process is all about - learning, persevering and growing as a person. And trust us: the college application process is so competitive these days, there are literally thousands of qualified students disappointed that they didn’t get into their number one school right about now. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel I promise.

The first step to post-early action disappointment is simple: breathe. Your college application saga is far from over, you most likely only heard back from one school so far. And if you’re like most students these days, you should have between 5 and 10 more schools to hear back from. Remember - you will go to college, and one of your other applications will work out.

The next step is to start thinking about your other choices. Which one is your second choice? Have you visited it? Start seriously thinking about where you want to go now that your former dream school may be out of the running. The most important thing to keep in mind throughout the process is that your wants might change. There are so many colleges out there that, even if you didn’t get into your top choice, you’ll likely end up in a place that you love.

Third, don’t forget that you are still in high school. You need to enjoy senior year. If all your applications are submitted, then you’re in the home stretch. But your second semester grades could still make a difference in the application process! Focus on finishing the year strong and try to enjoy high school life before it comes to an end.

Fourth, it’s winter break. You have some time off now, so try to focus on your family and enjoy the comforts of home. We have all suffered the disappointment of not getting what we want, but trust us - college will be amazing no matter what. It’s up to you to make the best of whatever happens and take advantages of the opportunities, no matter where you end up.

Finally, take some time for yourself. Pour yourself a nice cup of hot chocolate, relax with your favorite Netflix show, and indulge in a solid day of binge watching. You’ve earned it - applying to college is one of the most challenging and most involved things you will ever do, so just take a breath and relax. It’s not over yet; you still have all those other wonderful schools that you applied to. Keep working hard, stay happy, and it will work out.

Still finishing up your applications? Ease your stress and frustrations by checking out our database of successful applications. Get stats, essays, and advice from students who got into your dream school, and learn how you can too. College students - create a profile and upload your materials to help high school students get into your college. 

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.

rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...