Spring Break on a College Budget

College isn’t cheap, and it’s certainly not easy to live extravagantly on a college budget. Normally at school, a meal that’s not ramen or dining hall food is like eating a steak dinner. When you can barely afford a few nights out on the town, how are you possibly going to afford a trip over spring break? Luckily, we’ve all been there before. Getting creative over spring break is a science - it takes plenty of research and dedication, but you can find great results with a little patience. Here are a few tips on how to make your spring break just as fun at a fraction the cost.

1. It’s time for a… ROAD TRIP! Get your best friends together and go for a drive somewhere fun! Gas isn’t exactly cheap, but if you split the bill among your friends, it is much cheaper than buying plane tickets for all of you. You’ll get the best quality time singing your favorite songs, playing car games, and getting to know each other even better. Plus, you’ll get to choose to drive anywhere, whether it’s an easy hour or a full trip across the country.

2. Another option that has become even more popular than ever is taking a relaxing cruise to exotic places. Whether you head to Jamaica, the Bahamas, or Mexico, taking a cruise is a great way to enjoy some great amenities and a great view while hanging out with your friends. They’re usually relatively inexpensive, and you won’t have to worry about driving or flying anywhere, making plans, or anything of the sort. Just sit back, grab a beach chair, and relax.

3. If you do want to go somewhere new and can afford to spend a little more but still don’t want to break the bank, head to a destination that is not as popular. There are plenty of amazing options that are still affordable and fun. Instead of going to Miami, go to Ft. Lauderdale or Daytona. There are still plenty of beaches around, and you’ll still get to experience the warm, Florida weather. Myrtle Beach, SC is another option where you’ll surely have just as much fun as your friends. With hotels under $100 (and even cheaper split between a few friends), you could be enjoying break in style with money left over when you’re back home.

Whether you’re just starting your search or you’re looking for help applying, it’s never too early to make the college application process easier. Search to find students like you or contact a mentor for help with the admissions process so you can narrow down your choices and get a head start.

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!