Starting College: A Freshman’s Guide to Fitting in at Vanderbilt University

Congratulations, Class of 2015! You’re a week from graduating high school and soon will be heading off to college in the Fall! Though it must be extremely exciting, we know firsthand how scary it was at first! As Kkball96 - a college freshmen - wraps up her first year at Vanderbilt University, she started to reflect on her time and how overwhelming it was to first step foot on campus. She shares with us her experience and her advice in making new friends and  making Vanderbilt her second home. 

Want to know more about Vandy? Check out kkball96’s Admit Profile!

In mid-August at 7:30 AM, I anxiously waited in my parents’ rental car in line to move in to my dorm. As we finally approached my House, what we call the freshman dorm buildings, we were greeted by a crowd of screaming students, all wearing brightly colored Move-In Day shirts. When my dad stopped the car, the students opened the trunk and started taking everything out, checking which room I lived in to move all of my belongings there. At the time, it was so overwhelming I didn’t even know what to do. I would later learn this was a tradition which made the process of actually moving in incredibly easy.

A few hours later, I met my roommate in real life for the first time. We had found each other on Facebook in April and, after a few awkward messages, decided to live together. We actually got along almost immediately, and continue to be close friends now. I was lucky in that I had a relatively easy transition process in the beginning of college. Five other students from my relatively small high school grade also attended Vanderbilt, and two were, and still are, my best friends.

Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.