Stressed About College Applications? You’re Not Alone!

Thousands of high school students go through the application process every year. Almost any student has the same concern: how to stand out on their application.  Lisette and Abby are two high school juniors who shared some advice about how to stand out on your application in ways that schools will notice. Both Abby and Lisette both point out that high school involvement and hard work are two keys to success.

Abby Says:

It is still important to make your applications look as good as possible no matter how easy it is to be accepted. You have to go above and beyond that school’s expectations. They require a 25 on the ACT? Shoot for a 30. Work hard for the best grades possible, do not just slough through high school. Get involved with two, three, four clubs, and try your hand at sports. Don’t limit yourself with anything. You want to make sure that you stand out in all aspects so that you can increase your chances of being accepted into the college you choose.

Lisette’s Advice:

Selecting schools and applying for college is an extremely frustrating couple of months. Many selective schools look for students who have good grades and high-standardized test scores. This can be a problem for many students, but fortunately not so much for me. Because I am applying to selective schools in the Chicagoland area, competitiveness is key. There are many students who probably have the same grade point average, same standardized test scores, and similar story that I have. So, how do I stand out from the rest of them? I have learned that being involved and taking positive opportunities to network and build leadership skills can help you, but this is not all. A student that stands out in all areas of life is something I believe all students should aim for, to attend the school they wish.

AdmitSee is also a great resource to use when applying to college. Thousands of students attending the top colleges in the country have created profiles for you to view and see how they stood out on their applications. So don’t stress out, and tackle college applications with ease!

BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!