Stressed About College Applications? You’re Not Alone!

Thousands of high school students go through the application process every year. Almost any student has the same concern: how to stand out on their application.  Lisette and Abby are two high school juniors who shared some advice about how to stand out on your application in ways that schools will notice. Both Abby and Lisette both point out that high school involvement and hard work are two keys to success.

Abby Says:

It is still important to make your applications look as good as possible no matter how easy it is to be accepted. You have to go above and beyond that school’s expectations. They require a 25 on the ACT? Shoot for a 30. Work hard for the best grades possible, do not just slough through high school. Get involved with two, three, four clubs, and try your hand at sports. Don’t limit yourself with anything. You want to make sure that you stand out in all aspects so that you can increase your chances of being accepted into the college you choose.

Lisette’s Advice:

Selecting schools and applying for college is an extremely frustrating couple of months. Many selective schools look for students who have good grades and high-standardized test scores. This can be a problem for many students, but fortunately not so much for me. Because I am applying to selective schools in the Chicagoland area, competitiveness is key. There are many students who probably have the same grade point average, same standardized test scores, and similar story that I have. So, how do I stand out from the rest of them? I have learned that being involved and taking positive opportunities to network and build leadership skills can help you, but this is not all. A student that stands out in all areas of life is something I believe all students should aim for, to attend the school they wish.

AdmitSee is also a great resource to use when applying to college. Thousands of students attending the top colleges in the country have created profiles for you to view and see how they stood out on their applications. So don’t stress out, and tackle college applications with ease!

arn.s.wu
UCSB

Accepted to UCSB, Emory, BC, Tulane, UC Irvine, Santa Clara, UCSC, SDSU

I'm a first generation college student starting a physics major at UCSB this fall.
hulya559

Accepted to Harvard, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, Emory, USC

Hi! I'm a Harvard PreFrosh interested in service, economics, math, and philosophy excited to help you.
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!
zadriana
Dartmouth

Accepted to Dartmouth

Curiosity coupled with confusion fuel my desire to make sense of this complex world.