Summer Internships And Choosing A Major: A Junior at USC Weighs In

As a college student, summer is an opportunity to gain valuable work experience that can help determine your future career path. Sabrina, a student at USC, tells us about her future summer plans and her decisions about changing her major. Bottom line: the more experience the better!

As my sophomore year of college comes to a close, it’s more important than ever to have substantial, career-related summer plans. Whereas I spent last summer traveling and working at a restaurant, this year I have decided to spend my summer in a more productive (or at least future job oriented) way. As an international relations major, I hope to get into NGO or governmental work; with that goal in mind, I am going to spend the summer interning at a nonprofit to gain hands-on insight into the workings of such organizations, and decide if that career path is really something I want to go into, since I don’t yet have any practical experience in the field. I haven’t cemented which nonprofit I’ll be working at yet—or even if I will be working here in Los Angeles or back in my hometown—but I have submitted plenty of applications and am confident that is what I’ll be doing, in some capacity.

I entered college as a biology major, and have since changed my major twice—first to global health, and then to international relations—so my plans have certainly changed since I was applying to college! Full disclosure: my chosen major at the time I was applying to college was picked more because it aligned with my extracurricular activities than because I was super passionate about it (a decent strategy when it comes to college admissions, actually; college admissions officers like seeing a pattern to your application, rather than just scattered, disjointed activities/interests). But there were so many opportunities at my school to take myriad diverse classes, without jeopardizing graduating in the standard 4 years, that I soon determined that I didn’t like biology that much, and really enjoyed the international relations classes I had taken as part of the general education program at school. That interest, plus my experience traveling over the summer, cemented that final major change for me; and as the school of IR offers so many study abroad opportunities, I’m confident I made the right choice, and hope to explore the career paths this major will open up for me over the summer.

Read more about Sabrina on her AdmitSee profile!

niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.
nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...