Summer Internships And Choosing A Major: A Junior at USC Weighs In

As a college student, summer is an opportunity to gain valuable work experience that can help determine your future career path. Sabrina, a student at USC, tells us about her future summer plans and her decisions about changing her major. Bottom line: the more experience the better!

As my sophomore year of college comes to a close, it’s more important than ever to have substantial, career-related summer plans. Whereas I spent last summer traveling and working at a restaurant, this year I have decided to spend my summer in a more productive (or at least future job oriented) way. As an international relations major, I hope to get into NGO or governmental work; with that goal in mind, I am going to spend the summer interning at a nonprofit to gain hands-on insight into the workings of such organizations, and decide if that career path is really something I want to go into, since I don’t yet have any practical experience in the field. I haven’t cemented which nonprofit I’ll be working at yet—or even if I will be working here in Los Angeles or back in my hometown—but I have submitted plenty of applications and am confident that is what I’ll be doing, in some capacity.

I entered college as a biology major, and have since changed my major twice—first to global health, and then to international relations—so my plans have certainly changed since I was applying to college! Full disclosure: my chosen major at the time I was applying to college was picked more because it aligned with my extracurricular activities than because I was super passionate about it (a decent strategy when it comes to college admissions, actually; college admissions officers like seeing a pattern to your application, rather than just scattered, disjointed activities/interests). But there were so many opportunities at my school to take myriad diverse classes, without jeopardizing graduating in the standard 4 years, that I soon determined that I didn’t like biology that much, and really enjoyed the international relations classes I had taken as part of the general education program at school. That interest, plus my experience traveling over the summer, cemented that final major change for me; and as the school of IR offers so many study abroad opportunities, I’m confident I made the right choice, and hope to explore the career paths this major will open up for me over the summer.

Read more about Sabrina on her AdmitSee profile!

Econ & Bio major (and transfer) passionate about social justice, STEM, design, and Beyoncé. I learned a lot from navigating this hectic process twice, and I’m excited to help!
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a junior at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I am very interested in accessible healthcare for marginalized populations. I also love poetry!