Summer school musings

NYTimes: At Retooled Summer Schools, Creativity, Not Just Catch-Up

In my family, not utilizing the summer for intellectual enrichment was not even an option.  And it was never a question of playing catch-up.  Summer academic programs were for me to get ahead and safeguard my brain against the perils of idleness.  Kids should maintain a mindset of inquisitiveness through the summer which will hopefully bleed into the school year.  This seems especially true for those kids who otherwise wouldn’t have the means to attend a “fun” learning camp.

“Even in districts with severe fiscal woes, like Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and San Francisco, education officials have enlisted the support of philanthropic organizations that believe keeping children, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds, in school during the summer may help level the playing field for poor and more affluent students.”

I definitely think more emphasis should be put on practical courses and apprenticeships.  They can provide opportunities for hands-on, cooperative learning that will not only make summer learning more palatable but can also serve as a platform for all kids to build teamwork skills and adopt professional etiquette earlier on to be more competitive and employable in the job market.

- Steph (steadfast CTYer)

Here to mentor and guide you!

niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...