Summer school musings

NYTimes: At Retooled Summer Schools, Creativity, Not Just Catch-Up

In my family, not utilizing the summer for intellectual enrichment was not even an option.  And it was never a question of playing catch-up.  Summer academic programs were for me to get ahead and safeguard my brain against the perils of idleness.  Kids should maintain a mindset of inquisitiveness through the summer which will hopefully bleed into the school year.  This seems especially true for those kids who otherwise wouldn’t have the means to attend a “fun” learning camp.

“Even in districts with severe fiscal woes, like Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and San Francisco, education officials have enlisted the support of philanthropic organizations that believe keeping children, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds, in school during the summer may help level the playing field for poor and more affluent students.”

I definitely think more emphasis should be put on practical courses and apprenticeships.  They can provide opportunities for hands-on, cooperative learning that will not only make summer learning more palatable but can also serve as a platform for all kids to build teamwork skills and adopt professional etiquette earlier on to be more competitive and employable in the job market.

- Steph (steadfast CTYer)

tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, JHU, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...