Summer school musings

NYTimes: At Retooled Summer Schools, Creativity, Not Just Catch-Up

In my family, not utilizing the summer for intellectual enrichment was not even an option.  And it was never a question of playing catch-up.  Summer academic programs were for me to get ahead and safeguard my brain against the perils of idleness.  Kids should maintain a mindset of inquisitiveness through the summer which will hopefully bleed into the school year.  This seems especially true for those kids who otherwise wouldn’t have the means to attend a “fun” learning camp.

“Even in districts with severe fiscal woes, like Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and San Francisco, education officials have enlisted the support of philanthropic organizations that believe keeping children, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds, in school during the summer may help level the playing field for poor and more affluent students.”

I definitely think more emphasis should be put on practical courses and apprenticeships.  They can provide opportunities for hands-on, cooperative learning that will not only make summer learning more palatable but can also serve as a platform for all kids to build teamwork skills and adopt professional etiquette earlier on to be more competitive and employable in the job market.

- Steph (steadfast CTYer)

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native.