The High School Classes Colleges Are Looking For

Hopefully, if you’re in high school, you’re thinking about college. One of the most prominent questions that high school students ask is, “What are colleges looking for?” That is one of the questions that this site intends to answer. However, one question that can be easily answered is “What high school classes are colleges looking for?” The courses you take in high school matter. So, let’s dive into the mystery of what classes colleges are looking for. Colleges want to see a solid foundation that you can build upon after high school. This solid foundation isn’t hard to build if you follow these steps:

1. Take an English class every year to improve writing skills and vocabulary.

2. Although most colleges only require three years of math, a majority prefer four years. Combinations of the following courses are highly recommended.

• Algebra I
  • Algebra II
  • Geometry
  • Trigonometry
  • Calculus

3. Science enhances the way you think analytically. Similar to mathematics, most colleges only require three years of science, but prefer four. A mix of biology, chemistry, and earth science is highly recommended.

4. History is usually required for three years in most high schools. The following is a typically recommended course plan.

• U.S. history (a full year)
  • U.S. government (half a year)
  • World history (a full year)
  • Economy (half a year)

5. It is preferred by colleges that you take two years of the same foreign language, although receiving the seal of biliteracy on your high school diploma will allow you to stand out to colleges.

6. Many colleges prefer one or two years in the arts. Research proves that students who take classes in the arts field often do better on standardized tests. Take classes such as drama, art, or band.

7. Taking the highest level of a class is recommended. It proves to colleges that you can handle college-level classes. Try taking honors, AP, or IB-program classes.

Signing up for classes in high school shouldn’t be difficult. If you follow this list of tips, then you can rest with ease because you know what colleges are looking for…and that you got what they are looking for. After all, Dr. Seuss once wrote, “Sometimes the questions are complicated, and the answers are simple.

VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!

Here to mentor and guide you!
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...