The High School Classes Colleges Are Looking For

Hopefully, if you’re in high school, you’re thinking about college. One of the most prominent questions that high school students ask is, “What are colleges looking for?” That is one of the questions that this site intends to answer. However, one question that can be easily answered is “What high school classes are colleges looking for?” The courses you take in high school matter. So, let’s dive into the mystery of what classes colleges are looking for. Colleges want to see a solid foundation that you can build upon after high school. This solid foundation isn’t hard to build if you follow these steps:

1. Take an English class every year to improve writing skills and vocabulary.

2. Although most colleges only require three years of math, a majority prefer four years. Combinations of the following courses are highly recommended.

• Algebra I
  • Algebra II
  • Geometry
  • Trigonometry
  • Calculus

3. Science enhances the way you think analytically. Similar to mathematics, most colleges only require three years of science, but prefer four. A mix of biology, chemistry, and earth science is highly recommended.

4. History is usually required for three years in most high schools. The following is a typically recommended course plan.

• U.S. history (a full year)
  • U.S. government (half a year)
  • World history (a full year)
  • Economy (half a year)

5. It is preferred by colleges that you take two years of the same foreign language, although receiving the seal of biliteracy on your high school diploma will allow you to stand out to colleges.

6. Many colleges prefer one or two years in the arts. Research proves that students who take classes in the arts field often do better on standardized tests. Take classes such as drama, art, or band.

7. Taking the highest level of a class is recommended. It proves to colleges that you can handle college-level classes. Try taking honors, AP, or IB-program classes.

Signing up for classes in high school shouldn’t be difficult. If you follow this list of tips, then you can rest with ease because you know what colleges are looking for…and that you got what they are looking for. After all, Dr. Seuss once wrote, “Sometimes the questions are complicated, and the answers are simple.

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.

Student Reviews: Dartmouth College's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Dartmouth College’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Dartmouth College? Look beyond Dartmouth’s Ivy League reputation and see what current Dartmouth students have to say about going to school in Hanover. 1. Dartmouth’s Campus & CultureStudent...

The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application...

Class of 2022 Regular Decision Notification Dates

College decisions are drawing closer. With so many different notification dates to keep track of, we’ve put together a list of Class of 2022 release dates to help you manage it all. March 14th, 2018Massachusetts...