The Internet & College Admissions

Internet integration and social media usage have been on the rise in recent years. It is also becoming increasingly common for students to use this trend to get into their dream schools. 

It is no secret that colleges sometimes look up applicants’ social media profiles in order to gauge their online presence and check for inappropriate material. However, on the opposite end, it is becoming increasingly common that applicants are connecting with colleges and admissions staff via social media in order to get into their dream schools. If students have questions about the admissions process, they no longer have to communicate with admissions staff through the university. They can simply contact the individuals they would like to get in touch with directly through LinkedIn.

Taking another perspective. the use of social media can help applicants paint a more vivid portrait of themselves, giving life to their applications. Students can share their activities, work experience, and works of art (including music, films, drawings, photography, etc.). By describing their unique online presences, they can distinguish themselves from other applicants who may have similar backgrounds.

The rise of Internet-based college admissions has also made getting into college easier and more accessible to underprivileged students, who are provided with online resources that simplify the admissions process.  However, reaching low-income students may be difficult at times, as they may not have access to an Internet connection. Even so, there are many resources for students who come from a low-income background, guiding them through the process and providing them with scholarship information.

Social media and the Internet are making the college admissions process more accessible to everyone who would like to attend college. Use your online presence to add color to your application, and take advantage of every resource available to you, including AdmitSee! Unlock application files of students who are attending your dream schools, see how you compare, and answer your admissions questions!

Stanford

Brown

UC Berkeley

BrownBear23
Brown

Accepted to Brown, UMich, UT Austin

Artist, Writer, wannabe-philosopher