The Internet & College Admissions

Internet integration and social media usage have been on the rise in recent years. It is also becoming increasingly common for students to use this trend to get into their dream schools. 

It is no secret that colleges sometimes look up applicants’ social media profiles in order to gauge their online presence and check for inappropriate material. However, on the opposite end, it is becoming increasingly common that applicants are connecting with colleges and admissions staff via social media in order to get into their dream schools. If students have questions about the admissions process, they no longer have to communicate with admissions staff through the university. They can simply contact the individuals they would like to get in touch with directly through LinkedIn.

Taking another perspective. the use of social media can help applicants paint a more vivid portrait of themselves, giving life to their applications. Students can share their activities, work experience, and works of art (including music, films, drawings, photography, etc.). By describing their unique online presences, they can distinguish themselves from other applicants who may have similar backgrounds.

The rise of Internet-based college admissions has also made getting into college easier and more accessible to underprivileged students, who are provided with online resources that simplify the admissions process.  However, reaching low-income students may be difficult at times, as they may not have access to an Internet connection. Even so, there are many resources for students who come from a low-income background, guiding them through the process and providing them with scholarship information.

Social media and the Internet are making the college admissions process more accessible to everyone who would like to attend college. Use your online presence to add color to your application, and take advantage of every resource available to you, including AdmitSee! Unlock application files of students who are attending your dream schools, see how you compare, and answer your admissions questions!

Katherine…

Accepted to Middlebury, Duke, Claremont (CMC), Bates, Georgetown, UVM, Stanford, Bowdoin, Colgate, Tufts

I'm currently on a gap year before starting at Stanford in the fall. I would love to talk to anyone about taking a year off or the application process.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...