The UVA Jefferson Scholarship: Nomination & Selection Process

The University of Virginia awards around 30-35 students every year the merit-based UVA Jefferson Scholarship. Students cannot apply directly for the scholarship. Instead, the students must be nominated by eligible high schools in VA.

The Award

The UVA Jefferson Scholarship will cover your entire 4 years at UVA, including coverage of the supplemental enrichment programs that Jefferson Scholars will be offered.

Total value of the scholarship exceeds:

• $280,000 for non-Virginian students

• $150,000 for Virginian students

Enrichment Programs

Being a Jefferson Scholar doesn’t just mean getting a full ride to UVA, they also have access to enrichment programs that are designed to support and nurture these students passions and skills. The opportunities include:

• Team Challenge Program

• Institute for Leadership and Citizenship

• Foreign Travel Studies

• Alumni Connections Program

• Career Counseling

• Public Service Fellows

• Enrichment Dinners and Receptions

Nomination & Selection

There are over 4,500 secondary school that are eligible to nominate students for the regional competition for the Jefferson Scholarship. Each school may nominate one or two student per year from the graduating class.

Once nominated, students are required to go through a selection process. Student nominees will first be placed into regional competitions, and 120 finalists from regionals will be invited to Charlottesville for the Jefferson Scholarship Selection Weekend in late March.

In 2016-2017, 36 Jefferson Scholars emerged from the pool of 2,005 nominees. Click here to learn more about the Jefferson Scholarship. 

Student Insight

Theleenbean

University of Virginia ‘20

Small exterior scholarships are always a good idea but many people don’t realize much-larger opportunities available. One of the main reasons (perhaps THE main reason) I chose to attend UVA is because of the Jefferson Scholarship. It not only pays all my college expenses, but also opens up an extremely strong and close-knit group of alumni connections and forges and instant community among the scholars (~35 per year). At my school, we had to apply to be nominated by our counselors for the scholarship. Many students at my school weren’t even aware of this. Other similar scholarships include the Morehead-Cain at UNC and the Robertson, which I believe entails dual-enrollment at UNC and Duke. View the full University of Virginia application file. 

Bam3cq

University of Virginia ‘18

Personal Statement Excerpt: 

“If your childhood was anything like mine, you remember endlessly asking your parents “why?” to unravel fundamental truths. You remember transforming your Tyson chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes into a Continental Army troop (nuggets) crossing the icy Delaware River (mashers). If you think back hard enough, your recall chopping up your older sister’s CDs for ducted fans in your latest quadrotor helicopter.” Read his full UVA personal statement.

———

Interested in reading successful essay examples that got students accepted into University of Virginia? Unlock all of them in one go with our curated package.

Our premium plans offer different level of profile access and data insights that can help you get into your dream school. Unlock any of our packages or search our undergraduate profile database to find specific profiles that can help you make an informed choice about where to apply!

cmc9fs
UVA ‘19

Accepted to JMU, Penn State, USC, UVA

I am a first year Kinesiology major at the University of Virginia.
khanzai94
UVA ‘16

Accepted to NYU, UChicago, Harvard, UVA, Drexel, UPenn, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Brown, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth

I am 21 year old college transfer student at New York University. I used to attend UVA and major in History and Philosophy.
uvacogsci
UVA ‘18

Accepted to UVA, William & Mary

currently a 1st year at UVA
tford14
UVA ‘18

Accepted to UVA, Rutgers, Tufts, William & Mary, Northeastern, UConn

I'm a First Year at the University of Virginia, Majoring in Spanish and Economics and planning to earn a Fourth Year MS in Commerce.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...