This Week’s Feature: Georgetown University

We are starting a new segment on our blog! Every week we will be featuring a specific university and sharing the traditions of their college students! If you become a student, these will be the things you’ll do and remember even long after you’ve graduated! It’s the little things at each university that strengthens the bond of current students and alumni. 

Founded: 1789

Location: Washington, D.C.

Type: Private nonprofit university

Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic (Jesuit)

Size: Medium

Undergraduate Students: 7,636

Campus Setting: Campus located within a major urban setting

Georgetown Traditions:

Don’t step on the Seal

If you’ve been on one of the Blue & Gray Tour Guides, you will know never to step on the Georgetown seal in mosaic form that is right outside the main entrance of Healy Hall. If you haven’t, then you’ve probably wondered why even during the busiest hours of the day, students are awkwardly walking around each other on the side when there’s so much space down the middle. 

As the myth goes, if you step on the seal, you won’t be able to graduate in 4 years. Whether you believe it or not, it’s up to you, but you had fair warning!

Sit on John Carroll’s lap

The John Carroll statue sits right in the middle of Healy Circle. If you’ve visited the campus, you’ve probably already taken a photo with him. One of the traditions at Georgetown is to sit on his lap before graduating. 

It doesn’t seem like too hard of a task, but trust me, it’s harder than it looks. You’ll need a friend or two to give you a boost to get up on to his lap. Even though this is a tradition that is done by 90% of the school, it isn’t recommended by the faculty since it is a little dangerous. So do this in the middle of the night when GUPD isn’t watching! 

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...