This Week’s Feature: Johns Hopkins University

Just commit to being a Blue Jay? Or looking to apply? Find out what would be in store for you at Johns Hopkins University!

Founded:
1876

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Type: Private nonprofit university

Size: Medium

Current Undergraduate Enrollment: 6,251

Campus setting: Campus located within a major urban setting

The Hopkins Seal

The Johns Hopkins Seal is located in the lobby of Gilman Hall, a central building on campus that houses the university’s bell tower. Though many schools have some version of a cursed seal, the one at JHU is harsher than most. Supposedly, any current student who steps on it will never graduate, any professor will never get tenure, any prospective student will not be accepted, and any parents of prospective students will not receive financial aid.

Legend has it that the curse was placed on the seal when a JHU faculty member disturbed a sacred site—perhaps a tomb—in Egypt. Most people think this is just heresy, but someone in the administration has apparently given the legend enough credence to fence the seal off from the surrounding area.

Stanford

20pogues
Columbia

Accepted to Columbia, Northeastern, BU, Miami, UMass, UVM

Music-Loving Pre-Med studying Neuroscience
mm0222
Cornell

Accepted to Cornell, BC, BU, UMich

Global and Public Health Sciences major at Cornell University
michellezhang
Northwestern

Accepted to Northwestern, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Rice, UMich, USC

Aspiring entrepreneur interested in computer science, health, and sustainability; applied to college as an econ/environmental science major; phineas & ferb enthusiast :)