This Week’s Feature: Johns Hopkins University

Just commit to being a Blue Jay? Or looking to apply? Find out what would be in store for you at Johns Hopkins University!

Founded:
1876

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Type: Private nonprofit university

Size: Medium

Current Undergraduate Enrollment: 6,251

Campus setting: Campus located within a major urban setting

The Hopkins Seal

The Johns Hopkins Seal is located in the lobby of Gilman Hall, a central building on campus that houses the university’s bell tower. Though many schools have some version of a cursed seal, the one at JHU is harsher than most. Supposedly, any current student who steps on it will never graduate, any professor will never get tenure, any prospective student will not be accepted, and any parents of prospective students will not receive financial aid.

Legend has it that the curse was placed on the seal when a JHU faculty member disturbed a sacred site—perhaps a tomb—in Egypt. Most people think this is just heresy, but someone in the administration has apparently given the legend enough credence to fence the seal off from the surrounding area.

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!