This Week’s Feature: MIT

If you become a student, these will be the things you’ll do and remember even long after you’ve graduated! It’s the little things at each university that strengthens the bond of current students and alumni. This week amcquillen shares with us the traditions that ties current MIT students and alumni together.

Founded: 1861

Location: Cambridge, MA 

Type: Private Research University

Size: Large

Undergraduate Students: 4,528

Setting: Major urban setting, 168 acres

MIT Traditions: 

The Brass Rat

The MIT class ring, otherwise known as the Brass Rat, is one of the most recognized school rings in the country. Each year the design is slightly different. Class rings from some years have a map of the school on the inside of the ring, while others have pokemon characters on the face of the ring. Whatever the signature effect of your year, make sure you get yours!

Pirate’s License

At MIT, all students are required to take Physical Education classes and meet the swimming requirement in order to graduate. But what most don’t know is that you can get a pirate’s license too! Don’t just sign up for regular sports to complete your PE credits. Instead, you should pick up archery, sailing, fencing and shooting a pistol. Upon completing these courses, you’ll get your very own pirate’s license!

vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast

yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...