This Week’s Feature: MIT

If you become a student, these will be the things you’ll do and remember even long after you’ve graduated! It’s the little things at each university that strengthens the bond of current students and alumni. This week amcquillen shares with us the traditions that ties current MIT students and alumni together.

Founded: 1861

Location: Cambridge, MA 

Type: Private Research University

Size: Large

Undergraduate Students: 4,528

Setting: Major urban setting, 168 acres

MIT Traditions: 

The Brass Rat

The MIT class ring, otherwise known as the Brass Rat, is one of the most recognized school rings in the country. Each year the design is slightly different. Class rings from some years have a map of the school on the inside of the ring, while others have pokemon characters on the face of the ring. Whatever the signature effect of your year, make sure you get yours!

Pirate’s License

At MIT, all students are required to take Physical Education classes and meet the swimming requirement in order to graduate. But what most don’t know is that you can get a pirate’s license too! Don’t just sign up for regular sports to complete your PE credits. Instead, you should pick up archery, sailing, fencing and shooting a pistol. Upon completing these courses, you’ll get your very own pirate’s license!

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
beccapenn38

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...