This Week’s Feature: MIT

If you become a student, these will be the things you’ll do and remember even long after you’ve graduated! It’s the little things at each university that strengthens the bond of current students and alumni. This week amcquillen shares with us the traditions that ties current MIT students and alumni together.

Founded: 1861

Location: Cambridge, MA 

Type: Private Research University

Size: Large

Undergraduate Students: 4,528

Setting: Major urban setting, 168 acres

MIT Traditions: 

The Brass Rat

The MIT class ring, otherwise known as the Brass Rat, is one of the most recognized school rings in the country. Each year the design is slightly different. Class rings from some years have a map of the school on the inside of the ring, while others have pokemon characters on the face of the ring. Whatever the signature effect of your year, make sure you get yours!

Pirate’s License

At MIT, all students are required to take Physical Education classes and meet the swimming requirement in order to graduate. But what most don’t know is that you can get a pirate’s license too! Don’t just sign up for regular sports to complete your PE credits. Instead, you should pick up archery, sailing, fencing and shooting a pistol. Upon completing these courses, you’ll get your very own pirate’s license!

hulya559

Accepted to Harvard, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, Emory, USC

Hi! I'm a Harvard PreFrosh interested in service, economics, math, and philosophy excited to help you.
UCSB234077
UCSB ‘20

Accepted to UCSB, Humboldt

"She believed in nothing; only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist."
BGrove

Accepted to Duke, UT Austin, GA Tech, Washington, Arizona

I am a normal person: I promise. I am a big sports fan who will be attending Duke to watch basketball (and hopefully graduate with an economics degree).
jackieee

Accepted to Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, CMU, JHU, Duke, USC, BU, Illinois, UMich

Unhooked Asian girl from the Bay Area! Princeton CS '22