This Week’s Feature: MIT

If you become a student, these will be the things you’ll do and remember even long after you’ve graduated! It’s the little things at each university that strengthens the bond of current students and alumni. This week amcquillen shares with us the traditions that ties current MIT students and alumni together.

Founded: 1861

Location: Cambridge, MA 

Type: Private Research University

Size: Large

Undergraduate Students: 4,528

Setting: Major urban setting, 168 acres

MIT Traditions: 

The Brass Rat

The MIT class ring, otherwise known as the Brass Rat, is one of the most recognized school rings in the country. Each year the design is slightly different. Class rings from some years have a map of the school on the inside of the ring, while others have pokemon characters on the face of the ring. Whatever the signature effect of your year, make sure you get yours!

Pirate’s License

At MIT, all students are required to take Physical Education classes and meet the swimming requirement in order to graduate. But what most don’t know is that you can get a pirate’s license too! Don’t just sign up for regular sports to complete your PE credits. Instead, you should pick up archery, sailing, fencing and shooting a pistol. Upon completing these courses, you’ll get your very own pirate’s license!

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.